X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonprofit chairman at 17 yrs old

Texas

My nephew started a nonprofit corporation and is 17 -- can he still be the chairman of the board and CEO?

Re: Nonprofit chairman at 17 yrs old

Why do you care?

Let him deal with his own legal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by neko100 View Post
      Texas

My nephew started a nonprofit corporation and is 17 -- can he still be the chairman of the board and CEO?
      Probably, but I doubt that (as a minor) he will get past just putting it on paper.

People tend not to do business with minors because minors can disavow their contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by adjusterjack View Post
        Probably, but I doubt that (as a minor) he will get past just putting it on paper.

People tend not to do business with minors because minors can disavow their contracts.
        Yes I think that may be an issue as well.
        He could have a family member assist...there are several that are willing to help him until he comes of age.

I'll suggest it.

He will also be meeting with a nonprofit lawyer in two weeks but we are going through the issues that he wants to discuss.

Thanks for the response!

Comment

What is the nature of this non-profit? What does he plan to accomplish with it.

How soon will he be 18?

Seeing a lawyer is an excellent idea.

After that he should see a CPA.

He will have to get approval from the IRS under 501(C)(3) for tax exempt status.

Any entity can be non-profit (not make any money) but there are special requirements to be tax exempt.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
          X