•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the first year of law school free

Illinois Law Professor: Make the 1L Year Free

by WSJ.com

Writing at the Conglomerate Blog, Illinois law professor Christine Hurt has identified a problem and a possible solution.

Hurt's problem: Students who come to law school and decide, after a period of time, that it's not for them. The issue, according to Hurt, is that these sorts of students typically just stick it out, go through the motions for the next few years and take the degree. They do this because they've already sunk a bunch of money into their legal education; why not just suck it up and finish.
    Welcome to our discussion forum!

Re: Making the first year of law school free

Yeah i agree with this, there are alot of law schools, so students have to do more and more hardwork and get success and stuck there.

Comment

I know a lot of people who are in similar predicaments. Making the first year free (or at least really cheap!) would help people make that decision. It would also have the added benefit of keeping people who shouldn't be lawyers out of the business!

Comment

Or make year one cheap and year three more expensive--great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
          I know a lot of people who are in similar predicaments. Making the first year free (or at least really cheap!) would help people make that decision. It would also have the added benefit of keeping people who shouldn't be lawyers out of the business!
          Well maybe the prospective student just needs to do a better job of deciding what is right for them. I don't see how subsidizing an entire year of legal education is going to help anybody in the long run and it certainly does not help students that made the right choice.

The whole idea just seems to make it terribly easy for people that really are not sure about what they are doing.

Comment

This thread is over eight years old. Your comment is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Well maybe the prospective student just needs to do a better job of deciding what is right for them. I don't see how subsidizing an entire year of legal education is going to help anybody in the long run and it certainly does not help students that made the right choice.

The whole idea just seems to make it terribly easy for people that really are not sure about what they are doing.

YES THATS WHY IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Comment

Absolutely correct! Makin' it all free helps no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gotham2 View Post
                  YES THATS WHY IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
                  Well it works in some countries!!

Comment

According to my opinion it is not possible in each and every country. Only possible in some of the countries. Students should work harder.
                    https://esdmustchange.com/
                    https://esdabuse.com/

Comment

Originally posted by forum_admin View Post
                      Illinois Law Professor: Make the 1L Year Free

by WSJ.com

Writing at the Conglomerate Blog, Illinois law professor Christine Hurt has identified a problem and a possible solution.

Hurt's problem: Students who come to law school and decide, after a period of time, that it's not for them. The issue, according to Hurt, is that these sorts of students typically just stick it out, go through the motions for the next few years and take the degree. They do this because they've already sunk a bunch of money into their legal education; why not just suck it up and finish.

Think outside he box folks! It's a great idea!!!

Comment

That's really all we need, one more freebie, and for taxpayers to pay for a LAWYER'S education?

I don't think so!

Comment

Legal education should be in a way that enterents must feel the importance of law in the society.

Comment

I m sure Bernie Sanders would make it free, he makes everything free...

Comment

I m sure Bernie Sanders would make it free, he makes everything free...
                              LOL he makes everything free. Question is, if the country is a trillion in debt already, who pays?

The day of reckoning is coming. You heard it here!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X