Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lawyers on their own

In the beginning of my career, I started off as a junior lawyer working for other law firms and senior lawyers. Although it was a great learning curve and interesting experience, I decided to risk it and start my own firm while law society fees are still low. In Canada, once you graduate your fees are much lower than the norm to help you get established.

A couple of tips that have helped me along the way and hope will help you:

1- Contact Paralegals in your area.
    Paralegals are a great resource for lawyers looking to get new business. Paralegals are restricted in the type/level of cases that come their way.
    Many clients contact paralegals regarding cases which a paralegal is restricted from taking - Suggest to these paralegals to refer you business and suggest to their client your law services if they are not able to work on a particular case due to these restrictions - agree on a referral fee.

2- Don't be shy to ask. Establish good relationships with senior lawyers and ask them if you are unsure about a case or how to handle a situation. If you develop a good relationship, they will send business your way when they are too busy for a particular case.

These are simple tips that have helped me and may sound obvious to some but I hope they help.

-----------------------------------------------------
    T. Davies - Ottawa Lawyer

Re: New Lawyers on their own

Anyone can become a lawyer by doing llb for recigniced college.

Regards Thrust law group

Comment

Young lawyers go on their own, open new firm. Full story: Reading Eagle/Reading Times. After navigating the trials of law school.

Comment

Very remarkable experience though! That is right, anyone will start at the bottom first before he can go to the top. We must learn the experience as a neophyte lawyer in the field before we will become expert and experienced.

To all the new lawyers out there! Keep going on! Press on ... SUCCESS is within your reach.
        Last edited by OliverChapman; 03-09-2012, 09:17 PM. Reason: wrong post

Comment

Which institution will be best for law related study around New York?

Comment

Hello davieslegalfirm, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with all of us. It was very inspiring for young and budding lawyers.
            California Foreclosure Attorney -- John Dzialo

Comment

Thanks for sharing your tips that you experienced as a young lawyer. Your guide will help the younger lawyer and grab the responsibility for their own professional development. While learning the law is relatively straightforward, it is much harder to cultivate the other qualities and skills that lead to success.
              California Foreclosure Attorney -- John Dzialo

Comment

Its good to take care for new lawyers their own. New comers have to take care about rules and regulations. And also think about the disadvantages and flaws of it.

Comment

I advice for the newbies to start in a lower section because it is better to be low than to high fast without experience.

Comment

Nice tips! These all tips will help me to become a lawyer.

Comment

Yea, people actually prefer doing private practice after completing their graduation.
                      Seigman, Starritt-Burnett & Sinkfield, PLLC

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X