USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory Vacation: Can an employer force his employees use their vacation time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Vacation: Can an employer force his employees use their vacation time?

I am a salaried employee. Our company told us they were closing between Christmas and New Years. Then they told us that if we were out of vacation time in 2006 we could borrow from 2007.

The tempurature was set to 50 degrees for that time period so even if I chose to work, I couldn't because of the environment.

Is this legal? Can an employer force his employees use their vacation time during the time the company chooses to be closed?

We are in Texas.

Thanks

re: Mandatory Vacation: Can an employer force his employees use their vacation time?

They can close for a period yes. It is not illegal. But it may violate an agreement or contract or policy book that you have.

Comment

re: Mandatory Vacation: Can an employer force his employees use their vacation time?

Can a company force employees to take 50% of their accrued vacation hours? We have no limit on the number of hours that you can accrue but now that the company is strapped financially and the vacation accrual affects that, they are forcing mandatory vacation accrual reduction. I am in Arizona.

Comment

Most companies implement mandatory vacation to avoid layoffs, so it is in the employees' better interests.

Comment

Can a company make employees take mandatory vacation, and then announce that a layoff will take place after the shut down? Seems like they are trying to make us burn our unused vacation, in an attempt to reduce the vacation packages.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X