Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to use vacation time for a blizzard closing the firm

We just had a blizzard on wednesday where the Mayor declared a State of Emergency. I did not go to work obviously but my company is telling me I have to use vacation time for that day. Is this true?

Re: Do I have to use vacation time for a blizzard closing the firm

No---You could consult your nearest Department of Labor office to briefly discuss the issue with them first...you may also want to ask the company to put what is happening in writing and explain to them that you may have attorneys review the situation...try speaking to a higher level of management about the issue; they may override the other managers.

Comment

Re: Do I have to use vacation time for a blizzard closing the firm

No. It's not true. You are free to take that day as unpaid time off. The employer cannot dictate when you take vacation days when an emergency such as yours happened. The only time they can do that is when there is a scheduling conflict and you've requested the same vacation time off that another employee may have. Or when it would be too inconvenient for you to take time off under normal circumstances.

A blizzard, making road conditions dangerous, does not constitute being forced to take vacation time if you do not want to give that day up. Take it as unpaid time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X