Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famliy sick leave--HIPAA question

I had to take a family sick day to care for my wife (5 of our sicks days a year can be used for family sick leave). I work for a village in NY, with my direct boss being a police Lt. I called into the desk, as usual, but was called back and asked for my wife's ailment and doctors name. I have to answer these questions when I call in, but feel this might be in violation of of the HIPAA. I am not a police officer, and covered by CSEA. Other non-PD CSEA employees do not have to answer these sick report questions (date and time first felt symptons, type of illness, will I be home, doctors name, number of days out).

Before I make a stink out of this, I want to make sure that I'm right or not. I'm trying to decipher the HIPAA, but hoping someone here can shed a little light for me. Thanks for any help!

Mike

Re: Famliy sick leave--HIPAA question

I have just found this link/info on the web, but not sure if the answer is there...

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_...untability_Act

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1996.

According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' (CMS) website, Title I of HIPAA protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.

Title II of HIPAA, the Administrative Simplification (AS) provisions, requires the establishment of national standards for electronic health care transactions and national identifiers for providers, health insurance plans, and employers.

The AS provisions also address the security and privacy of health data. The standards are meant to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the nation's health care system by encouraging the widespread use of electronic data interchange in the U.S. health care system.

Comment

Hipaa gives information on Health Portability and accountability. It is a federal law. As it provides every information regarding medical data as the medical patients who want to know information can Visit HippaGuide. So that they can get every information they want to know Hippa.
      _________
      Simon

hipaa

Comment

Medical certification supporting the need for leave due to a serious health condition affecting the employee or an immediate family member is required. Second and third medical opinions and periodic recertifications (some of which may be at the University’s expense) may be required. The University may also require periodic reports during FMLA leave regarding the employee's status and intent to return to work. Medical certification, provided by the military, is required for leave to care for a covered service member who is recovering from a serious illness or injury sustained in the line of duty on active duty and who is actively receiving medical treatment. For a qualifying exigency, the University may require a copy of the covered military member’s active duty orders and certification providing the appropriate facts related to the qualifying exigency.
        rayna
        hipaa

Comment

Hipaa gives information on Health Portability and accountability. It is a federal law. As it provides every information regarding medical data as the medical patients who want to know information can Visit HippaGuide. So that they can get every information they want to know Hippa.
          _________
          Simon

hipaa

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X