Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay level reduced (a fast food chain)

I work for a fast food chain in Michigan. A co-worker just quit and did not give two weeks notice so the owner reduced his pay level from supervisor pay to minimum wage. The owner came in to tell the rest of us employees that he can legally reduce our pay from supervisor wages to the michigan minimum wage if we just quit and do not give them two weeks notice. Plus he said he also has the right to cut our hours down for those last 2 weeks (so the way I see it you are damned if you do give notice & damned if you don't give notice). Can he legally take my supervisor pay away for the hours I have already worked if I quit and do not give two weeks notice???

re: pay level reduced (a fast food chain)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you quit and don't give a notice, you are, in effect, quitting as of the day you alert the boss/manager/owner you are quitting. There is no need or reason to reduce pay on a person who has quit without notice. Quitting without notice means you are generally walking out on the day you quit.

Yes, employers are well within their rights to terminate the employee even after notice has been given. Many employees choose to have the employee work their last day well before the 2 week period is up. The 2 week notice method is merely a courtesy anyway. Employees are not required by law to give it, and employers are not required by law to extend it.

You can receive a reduction in pay and a title demotion for any reason, but most are economical in nature. But the question remains, if you quit without giving a 2 week notice, how do you expect to work there that long?

Comment

I wasn't that clear in my first post. The reduction in the pay came when they processed the employees last paycheck. The two weeks before he quit he worked a total of 32 hours as a supervisor at an hourly wage of $8.50, but when the owner did up his final paycheck he changed the hourly wage from $8.50 to $7.40 (which is Michigan's minimum wage), he said he could do this because the employee did not give a two week notice, he just came in and quit.

Comment

Ok. I understand now.

The answer then is a resounding NO, he cannot legally do that. The employer is wrong, egregiously wrong. Report him to the Department of Labor. They have a wage division, but talk with whomever you can, or rather, advise him to do so.

The employer has violated his state's law.

Notices to quit are NOT required by law. They are merely a courtesy. They don't even have to be accepted by an employer. The employer can choose to terminate well before they work their notice.

Unless an employee quits on the spot, it is primarily always at the control of the employer when their actual last day is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X