USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada - Can an Employer sue an employee if...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada - Can an Employer sue an employee if...?

I made a mistake today of making a rude remark on our computer system that was directed to someone I work with in the automotive trade. The system that we use is designed to communicate to our parts department and the service advisors that deal with the customers. The remark ended up on the customers receipt and it looked as though it was directed to the customer. To make a long story short the customer has threatend to get lawyers involved. Is this grounds for a lawsuit? If the company gets sued can they turn around and sue me? The company does not yet know who did it but have cameras everywhere and seem very suspicious of me, I understand if I lose my job but do not want to get sued by them. I am not sure on this situation. Am I protected at all?

Ontario, Canada

re: Canada - Can an Employer sue an employee if...?

That is bad luck for you but no lawsuit is going to be filed and won over that. They should just seek your discipline.

Comment

Re: Canada - Can an Employer sue an employee if...?

I had a similar situation where I called the customer a pompous ass in the email which became part of the invoice.
      Now the company is hunting down who did it and soon it will lead to me.

Can I really be fired for that. It is true, he is an ass.

Comment

Yes you can be fired for that absent a collective bargaining agreement protecting you.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

One rule at the office today IMHO, NEVER criticize the customer in writing, email, social media, etc.

It always gets back to them and you in the end.

Communication internally ain't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by klm5 View Post
            One rule at the office today IMHO, NEVER criticize the customer in writing, email, social media, etc.

It always gets back to them and you in the end.

Communication internally ain't what it used to be.

That is so true today. And every word you write is saved. I learned the hard way,
            You really have to be very careful and assume everything will eventually be public.

Comment

I think that has been the standard workplace rule for about the years now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X