X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A student in my classroom secretly recorded

Texas

A student in my classroom secretly recorded my classroom. I was called into the office and was asked to to resign. i wouldn't resign, sot they put me on adminstrative leave until a full investigation has been done. My first question is it legal for a student to record my classroom? 2. i asked to hear the evidence they had against me and was told no. Im at a lost as to what I need to do. I want to start looking for a new teaching job, but I don't know if I can since I am under investigation. I am 100% confident when the investigation in done my name will be cleared!

Re: A student in my classroom secretly recorded

Originally posted by lmvv View Post
    Texas

A student in my classroom secretly recorded my classroom. I was called into the office and was asked to to resign. i wouldn't resign, sot they put me on adminstrative leave until a full investigation has been done. My first question is it legal for a student to record my classroom? !
    Yes.

Originally posted by lmvv View Post
    2. i asked to hear the evidence they had against me and was told no. Im at a lost as to what I need to do. I want to start looking for a new teaching job, but I don't know if I can since I am under investigation. I am 100% confident when the investigation in done my name will be cleared!
    You're only entitled to hear the evidence if you are criminally prosecuted or end up in civil court.

Are you on leave with pay?

If not, then it's the equivalent of a termination and you should file for unemployment and look for another job.

If you are still being paid, then just stick it out and see how it goes.

Comment

Not sure what they recorded--only you know but if you think it might not be proper it probably wasn't.

And if not proper, in their opinion, they unfortunately can dismiss you.

Comment

Of course you can challenge it in court but unless you are SURE to win who wants that all over the public record?

Comment

In this scenario it is good to wait for the investigation report.

Comment

In my school recording of classes or conversations inside the class w/o permission is NOT allowed and is a criminal offense I am pretty sure--Calif.

Should be that way everywhere IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              In my school recording of classes or conversations inside the class w/o permission is NOT allowed and is a criminal offense I am pretty sure--Calif.

One does not necessarily include the other. If the school administrators prohibit it then the violator is subject to termination or disciplinary action.

Depending on the circumstances it might not be a criminal offense.

It is a crime in California to intercept or eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or wire communication, without the consent of all parties. Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632. But, conversations that occur at any public gathering where one could expect to be overheard, including any legislative, judicial or executive proceeding open to the public, are not covered by the statute.

https://www.rcfp.org/wp-content/uplo.../CANWETAPE.pdf

A classroom setting where there is no expectation of privacy by the group is likely exempt.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Should be that way everywhere IMO.

It isn't.

Comment

That's just one more reason the kids should not have their phones in the classroom and it should be made illegal not just prohibited by the school.

Comment

I can see not wanting students being disrupted but I am not sure secrecy in the classroom should be a factor.

Comment

I always thought the entire class should always be recorded anyway.
                    Now it seems to be coming true with covid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X