Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal termination? -- [Virginia, grocery chain]

I live in the State of Va. For 7 yrs. I was an employee of a major grocery chain in our area then for the last 7 years I have worked for a major food supplier who supplied products to all of the grocery chain that I previously worked for. I was a vendor for these food products in many of the stores of this major chain.
    This is my situation: I also do my personal grocery shopping at a local store from this grocery chain and it is also the same store where I was an employee for 7 yrs. Let me say up front that I have never had any problems in either one of these jobs previously. I am a dependable worker with a tremendous work ethic. when I was in this grocery store doing my personal shopping I have been treated rudely by employees there several times and when I have spoken to the General manager about any problems/issues I have had there he has always made light of them. Because I was his former employee I was not taken seriously as a customer with a complaint.
    A couple of times when I was in this store as a paying customer I have have asked one of the dept. mangers a question about the availability of certain products in his store and also told him when I had purchased a product there that was out of date. I have NO outside relationship or dealings with this dept. manager at all but he took extreme offense at my inquiries and afterwards made it a point to harrass me when I was in his dept. as a paying customer even calling me dirty names on a few occassions. Finally I had had enough and confronted him about his behavior, this occurred after he had harrassed me when my wife and I were in the store buying our personal groceries. There was no violence/yelling or cursing all I did was ask him why he continued to harrass me while I was shopping in his dept? I knew I was wasting my time reporting his behavior to the General manager of this store so I emailed the main company and complained about this dept. managers actions towards me.
    A few days later I received a call from my supervisors at the food company for which I distribute products telling me that the General manager of this particular grocery store wanted to meet with me. I thought he wanted to discuss my compalint but when he got me in his office he told me that because I complained about this dept. mgr. he was having me "banned" from his store and all the other stores in this grocery chain as a vendor for the food co. that I work for. All because I complained about how this dept, manager had treated me while I was a paying customer in this grocery store. This had nothing to do with my job as a food vendor in this store. Because of this General managers actions I have lost my job. Because the grocery chain I am referring to is a MAJOR buyer of the products that I provided if I could not be a Vendor in their stores there was no where else I could be placed. Is what happened to me legal? It was retaliation because I complained to the main offices. Who can I contact? I have written letters and sent by certified mail to the major corporate offices of this grocery chain telling them of my treatment in this store as a paying customer, my treatment by the dept. and general manager in this store previously and in this situation I gave dates and details. Is there anything else I can do?

re: Legal termination? -- [Virginia, grocery chain]

I wish to inform you that Virginia is Employment At Will state under which your employer can terminate you at any time. In this regard as there had been unfair treatment to you as a customer thus you can file complaint with FTC and as you have been terminated thus you may report matter to Department of Labor. If you are having any employment agreement then you can seek compensation for breach of contract.

AFF

Comment

re: Legal termination? -- [Virginia, grocery chain]

File for UI. So you regularly returned to your previous employer, who had a relationship with your current employer and told them how things should be done. You nit picked managements skills and when the store manager politely blew you off, you decided to make a larger issue of it. Guess what, you succeeded.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: Legal termination? -- [Virginia, grocery chain]

Thanks for the input read the following. I was never politely blowed off by this general manager. it has been 7 years since I worked in this store so I really don't know anyone personally who works in there except the general manager. And I do not have any contentious relationship with the GM or do I know the the Dept. manager on whom I compalined personally or have any outside relationship with him. All I know is he is the dairy Dept. manager at this store and his dad is some big executive in corporate of this same grocery chain.
        That being said I will say this: this store has a reputation for its rude/obnoxious employees. The only reason they stay in business is they are the only game in town. If you want to call it second guessing management skills when A) I was literally "shoved" out of the way when standing in the checkout line with my wife by an employee. If he will shove me he will shove another customer as well. When I went to the GM to tell him of this his remarks to me were (and I quote) "deal with it, we're getting your money aren't we?" B) As a paying customer if a product that I normally purchase at other stores in this chain is not stocked do I as a paying customer not have the right to ask why that is? C) The product that I purchased that was bad was a gallon of milk that was so old it was spoiled, as a paying customer do I not have a right (no a responsibility) to alert this dairy manager to the fact that there are products on his store shelves that have expired that may cause potential illness/harm to another person. You can think what you will but I have worked in retail for 16 years and I have always gone by the first commandment in the retail Bible "the customer is ALWAYS right". In those 16 years I have had some pretty outrageous requests/demands/ questions put to me and I always treated these customers with respect. NOT because it was a job requirement BUT because these customers hard earned money was paying my salary and they deserved their moneys worth. And as I see it when I was in this grocery store as a paying customer , my hard earned money was paying the paycheck of this GM and Dept. manager and I deserved the courtesy of having my questions or concerns addressed as such. Its that simple...

Comment

Evidently you feel those rights were worth your job. Good Luck.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

One right I know that I do have is not to be called a "bast**rd by this dairy manager. After I told him about the rotten milk he made it a point to seek me out and ask me on several occasions " where are you buying your milk, why don't you go somewhere else?" and when I tried to brush him off or just plain out told him where I purchase milk he called me a Bast**rd. More than once.

Comment

I live in a small town with few grocery choices. My husband works at one of them. If we had a problem shopping there we'd go elsewhere. Nothing they sell is worth his job.

It's an age old concept - don't poop where you eat.

Comment

well, I'd like to agree with your concept But the sad fact is This chain has a monopoly in our tri-state area and with gas prices what they are I (or no one else I know) can afford to drive to West Va. North/South Carolina, etc. weekly or by-weekly to buy groceries...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X