X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Manager Intervened So I Would Not Be Rehired

This happened in the state of CA:

I was laid off about 2 months ago from my previous employer, due to the holiday season being over and work volume decreasing. About 2 weeks ago, I was talking to a former co-worker about coming back when work picked up. He said he would talk to his supervisor, and he did. They wanted to bring me back on board, but to their department instead of my former one. So the supervisor contacted the agency that takes care of temporary hires, and they in turned contacted me with the job offer. I accepted, and came in for both the drug test and paper work. A pay was already given to me over the phone, and I received a start date after the drug test came back negative.

Now unfortunately, come to find out my previous manager did not want me returning to the company so he spoke with one of the agency reps and said it would make him and the workplace too uncomfortable. I realize this is all heresay, since I was not there nor can I find someone who did hear this himself. However, all I do know is, is that I received a phone call the day of my start date and was told the position is filled. I contacted the supervisor that wanted to rehire me and he told me that it is actually still open and they are still looking. Do I have any legal recourse concerning the matter? To touch briefly on the accusation of me making my former manager uncomfortable, in my 8 months working there, I was never once reprimanded neither verbally or written. I was even asked to step up and become a trainer for the holiday season (of which I did).

Advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Re: Former Manager Intervened So I Would Not Be Rehired

No you have no recourse. The store is not required to bring you back through the temp service if they choose not to.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I understand that they are not required to bring me back on, but my real concern was whether or not what my manager did was legal. He essentially said what he needed to say to make sure the agency would not rehire me, even though I am eligible for rehire and was already offered the job. Considering circumstances, I assume the agency felt best to lie to me that the position is filled rather than give the real reason (is that in itself legal?).

Comment

That is part of his job.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I wish to inform you that if the employer made an offer of a job and you made an acceptance of that offer then you may serve a written notice on the other employer for breach of contract if the employer went back of his promise. Oral contracts are valid contracts though difficult to prove in the court. If the employer does not resolve the matter then you may file a lawsuit. In the court you will have to prove the claims made by you. You may claim damages and costs. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. On the other hand, you may not proceed against the manager on hearsay or if the manager spoke the truth.

AFF

Comment

In this case, I don't think you have any right to use law against your employer as it is completely your employer's decision whether to hire you again or not? You cam't do anything in this matter. I suggest you to look for another job that best suits your qualification and experience and pay you the desired amount. Best of luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X