Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired for being a drain on company self funded health insurance

I was fired less than a week ago for what I believe was excessive use of companies self funded health care coverage, although the reason given was due to my job performance.

My last review said my performance was excellent. I had been employed at my job for nearly 8 years and had one instance where I was written up. I'll admit making some minor mistakes,but nothing that justifies my firing. I do work in an at will employment state. I chose to resign and was offered a good severance package.

In 2011 my wife had a major life threatening procedure that cost the company close to 3/4 of a million dollars. In 2012 medications and a couple of hospitilizations probably cost the company about $50,000 more. My company was awesome with support during those times. Already in 2013 she had been hospitilazed for 4 days. Three days after she was released from the hospital was when I called called in and was told I could resign or be fired. I was in shock. Due to my position in the company I attend many of the health benefit meetings where they constantly consider what to do about reducing health care costs, including anything borderline ethically to get away with hiring and retaining the healthiest people and making life more difficult for those that arent.

Am I dreaming to think there is something I can do legally.

re: fired for being a drain on company self funded health insurance

It does not appear your rights were discriminated against.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

re: fired for being a drain on company self funded health insurance

Perhaps it was as much about your absences? Regardless, nearly every state is at will (except Montana where you need gross misconduct) and so they could fire you bc your boss just didn't wake up liking you that day.

They allowed you to resign so you have a better chance at new employment. Mighty nice.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X