Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing work because of bed bugs

I work at a residential home for children with behavior disabilities. About a month ago staff started complaining of red bumps that looked like bug bites. Management dismissed the complaints as flea bites. More and more staff and then clients started to get biten. One of the clients found an infestation of bugs in a couch on the unit. Staff dragged the couch outside of the unit to prevent further infestation and then called management to ket them know that we were certain they were bed bugs. Management advised us that they couldnt have a couch outside zo we woukd have to bring it back in. So we brought it back in. The units were inspected today and they confirmed that there is a bed bug infestation. Management informed us that they will not be exterminating until next week and said that we should just bring a change of clothes for when we leave to go home. My first question is.. if we do not go into work for fear of being biten by bed bugs and bringing them home can we be fired? My second question is.. if we have bed bugs in our homes now could my employer be held responsible for the cost of exterminating the infested homes? Thank you for any and all advice.

re: missing work because of bed bugs

I wish to inform you that your employer can terminate you at any time. In this regard there is generally employment at will concept under which an employee can be terminated at any time. If your home is having bed bugs then you may not seek compensation unless you are able to show that your employment is responsible for bed bugs at home.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
      I wish to inform you that your employer can terminate you at any time. In this regard there is generally employment at will concept under which an employee can be terminated at any time. If your home is having bed bugs then you may not seek compensation unless you are able to show that your employment is responsible for bed bugs at home.

AFF
      But aren't they required to provide a safe non hazardous work environment?

Comment

Bed bugs will not kill you.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Your employer has a duty to provide you with a comfortable working environment. Employers must take care to maintain their workplace in a reasonably safe condition. This would include an environment free of health concerns and exposure to illnesses. You can file a suit against the employer if you contact a bedbug infestation from the workplace. In most cases, the bites are merely an annoyance, but some employees may develop severe allergic reactions and skin infections. These reactions may qualify them for worker’s compensation benefits. Moreover, if your employer knows about a bedbug infestation and does nothing to resolve it, then they may be liable for damages sustained from the infestation. Even though it’s a big concern with them at work, the bigger concern is bringing them home. So, check and clean everything when you return from work. Additionally, if you are able to show that the presence of bedbug at home could only have come from your workplace, then you could also seek damages for the same.
          It is always advisable to seek the assistance of an attorney who can help answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Re: missing work because of bed bugs

There is no way to know where they came from. It's a residential facility so it's actually more likely that a member of staff brought them in.

Comment

What a job that has bed bugs to the point that you can them on u staff and clients are being bitten a staff broke out from it and bought it home can u hold your job realible

Comment

Originally posted by amandaevans1981 View Post
                I work at a residential home for children with behavior disabilities. About a month ago staff started complaining of red bumps that looked like bug bites. Management dismissed the complaints as flea bites. More and more staff and then clients started to get biten. One of the clients found an infestation of bugs in a couch on the unit. Staff dragged the couch outside of the unit to prevent further infestation and then called management to ket them know that we were certain they were bed bugs. Management advised us that they couldnt have a couch outside zo we woukd have to bring it back in. So we brought it back in. The units were inspected today and they confirmed that there is a bed bug infestation. Management informed us that they will not be exterminating until next week and said that we should just bring a change of clothes for when we leave to go home. My first question is.. if we do not go into work for fear of being biten by bed bugs and bringing them home can we be fired? My second question is.. if we have bed bugs in our homes now could my employer be held responsible for the cost of exterminating the infested homes? Thank you for any and all advice.
                Yes, bed bugs latch onto clothing, can be transported to your home -- to car seats, bus seats -- anyplace those critters can think of.

The couch should not just have been taken outside and left there, but put with the garbage to be taken away. If management had been bitten, their response might be more responsive and vigorous to get rid of the pests. Should the health department inspect and find these bugs,"next week" is not soon enough. Public housing facilities have been evacuated for bed bug infestation with the residents being put up at hotels -- and at public expense. And this is a residential home for children? With lots of bedding, woodwork,picture frames for these pests to infect. If it were me, I'd call the health department. For finding bedbugs in a couch means they are probably elsewhere throughout at least the floor on which they were found.

The bites are irritating but these insects are not known to carry disease. What you can do in the interim while awaiting the fumigation -- and the entire floor does need to be fumigated -- is get a can of pesticide guaranteed to kill bed bugs. And thoroughly spray the couch, every crack and crevice -- and insist no one sit there. And change your clothes before going home.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  What a job that has bed bugs to the point that you can them on u staff and clients are being bitten a staff broke out from it and bought it home can u hold your job realible
                  You cannot prove they came from your job.
                  Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                    You cannot prove they came from your job.
                    There is an infestation at my job and they had an exterminator come out and they were informed of it and that the entire house has to be done and they only authorized one bedroom of a three bdrm house that has three mentally challenged adults.

Comment

This has been going on for about 2 months. The exterminator told another employee that my employer wants them to sign off without proper treatment.
                      Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      There is an infestation at my job and they had an exterminator come out and they were informed of it and that the entire house has to be done and they only authorized one bedroom of a three bdrm house that has three mentally challenged adults.

Comment

I work at a hospital. I was off from work for 4 days. On my 5th day, which I work overnights, I went into work. I came home that next morning and went to sleep. I woke up with a bed bug. Now, it is Monday and I have bites everywhere. It is disgusting and it makes me feel totaly violated. I freaked out. The hospital that I work at has a serious issue with bed bugs. I also was informed that after they have a confirmed case of bed bugs that all they do is have the janitorial staff do a deep cleaning, like you wold for C-diff and MRSA. There is no other pest control like heat lamps or even calling in pest control. They told me that they choose not to do this because you cannot get rid of them anyway. In which you can. I am so pissed off. I have 3 young children and they do not need to be exposed to this all because the Hospital in which I am currently employed at is lazy and will not exterminate a pest. I feel like the worse parent because I brought something like this home to my family. I have called multiple pest control companies. This is going to cost me in upwards of $1,500 to get rid of this problem. Including the once a month follow up treatments. I have spoke with an attorney and she said that they should give me time off to take care of this issue since, they straight up told me on the phone that they do nothing but a cleaning afterwards. But, it is like I said, since the hospital will not take care of the issue, I am stepping back into a breeding ground. I do not know whether to quit or just drag this on with them.

Comment

Some places here are full of bed bugs. You can insta kill them natural pest control or wait for professional. For fast services you can try theeliminator.com.au

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X