Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoted to illness & Harassing phone calls to work

The other day i called my friend sick into work due to her short term disability, of Possible Laryngitis(what the ER doctor assumed), which leaves you voiceless for several days. The manager i spoke with was unpleasant to deal with and said he would car her back in a little while. With her having no voice she cannot answer her, and this manager insisted on calling her phone three times after i called her in sick demanding she show up for work. I took her down to her work with her doctors note explained to two of her bosses that she will not be working due to her illness.

Her job involves filling prescriptions and dealing with sick customers all days long, and i know if your not feeling 100% at work you take the chance on having an accident, and in that line of work you can get someone killed if you screw up.

After returning to work Yesterday she has found out on her own she is not able to log into the scheduling program she use to use to make schedules for the store employees, and her hours are cut back by 8-10 hours week, and now has to 2nd shifts also(which isn't no big deal). Not mention a possible wage decrease might be involved also.

I need to know if the 3 phone calls are considered harassment from the company or from the manger personally himself. Nobody should call in sick and receive 3 more phone calls from their boss demand they have to show up to work. One more thing is it legal to demote someone for being on sick leave for thier "short term disability" of having no voice?

Victim is in mid 20's, white female
    single mother who could not make it buy with 40 hours a week let alone 30 now

Re: Demoted to illness & Harassing phone calls to work

That is not harassment but she also cannot be punished for real and genuine sickness.

It does seem she could have answered the phone and at least tried to speak. Management may be a bit suspicious. Get a doctor's explanation/confirmation in writing asap if you can and the employer should reverse any punitive measures.

You could also inform your nearest Department of Labor office to briefly discuss the issue with them if you suspect retaliation for true sickness.

Comment

Re: Demoted to illness & Harassing phone calls to work

Your language prompts me to ask what country does this take place in?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X