USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

    I recently purchased an item on Amazon after checking the manufacturer's website and verifying it had all the features I needed. The manufacturer (business address listed in CA) seems also to be the seller at Amazon.

    Upon setting up the item I realized that it lacked a critical feature which was clearly listed as being present on the website. I contacted the manufacturer and the response was that that particular model does not support that feature. I emailed them the link to their own site where the item's features are listed and have not gotten any response since then.

    Btw, the site does not have a 'typographical errors' disclaimer.

    The day after I sent them the link showing that they represented the item to support that particular feature, the webpage was modified to remove that feature.

    Yes, I am about to contact Amazon but I just wanted some advice in case of problems.

    One major concern I have is that they are attempting to modify their site to cover themselves. I know Google cache has a copy of the original page for now... is that of any legal value?
    Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

    An item sold from the manufacturers site, is not necessarily the same as the one sold on Amazon.The representation at Amazon is what matters.

    PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS
    Amazon attempts to be as accurate as possible. However, Amazon does not warrant that product descriptions or other content of any Amazon Service is accurate, complete, reliable, current, or error-free. If a product offered by Amazon itself is not as described, your sole remedy is to return it in unused condition.
    Amazon.com Help: Conditions of Use
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

    I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

    Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

      Thank you for your quick response.

      That disclaimer is precisely why I did not rely solely on Amazon's description and opted to investigate the manufacturer's website directly. I have no problem with Amazon, it is the seller/manufacturer I hold solely responsible.

      The item listed on Amazon is exactly what is listed on the manufacturer's site. The model number is listed on Amazon and I used that model number on the manufacturer's website to verify it could do what I needed it to do. They clearly stated on their site that it could do the job.

      It was only when I got the item that I realized it could not. The seller therefore has misrepresented its capabilities.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

        Have you asked about returning the item? If you paid through Paypal you should have an easier time of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

          You are missing the point. You have no claim,other than standard return procedures for Amazon, even in theory, because you did not buy it directly from the same site you are stating as the source of your information.


          Originally posted by argos View Post
          Thank you for your quick response.

          That disclaimer is precisely why I did not rely solely on Amazon's description and opted to investigate the manufacturer's website directly. I have no problem with Amazon, it is the seller/manufacturer I hold solely responsible.

          The item listed on Amazon is exactly what is listed on the manufacturer's site. The model number is listed on Amazon and I used that model number on the manufacturer's website to verify it could do what I needed it to do. They clearly stated on their site that it could do the job.

          It was only when I got the item that I realized it could not. The seller therefore has misrepresented its capabilities.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

          I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

          Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

            Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
            Have you asked about returning the item? If you paid through Paypal you should have an easier time of it.
            Thanks for your reply. The initial response from the manufacturer (contacted them directly since I initially assumed it was a support issue) was that I had to purchase a different model. So I will be contacting Amazon directly to see what options are open to me. Didn't use Paypal, it was via credit card.



            Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
            You are missing the point. You have no claim,other than standard return procedures for Amazon, even in theory, because you did not buy it directly from the same site you are stating as the source of your information.
            Okay, so for my own clarity and sanity: I purchased an item based on the explicitly stated features on a company's website. Those features were misrepresented on that site.
            Regardless of the method/avenue of purchase, I was misled into making that purchase.
            You are saying that because I did not purchase from that site (the site does not sell the products, it only give details about them) I can take no action against them, not even for false advertising?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

              Exactly correct. You should have investigated the item in other places to determine it was what you wanted.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

              I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

              Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Misrepresented item from seller on Amazon

                Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                Exactly correct. You should have investigated the item in other places to determine it was what you wanted.
                The only place on the internet providing the information about the product's capabilities is the manufacturer's site... any other place would point back to the manufacturer's site or make reference to it. So I got the information from the most authoritative source possible... and they lied.

                Disheartening and counter-intuitive as it was, your information and feedback is appreciated.
                Thanks for your time.

                Comment

                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

                the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

                widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X