Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contacted on twitter by a strange account who claimed to be a sugar daddy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacted on twitter by a strange account who claimed to be a sugar daddy.

I was recently contacted on twitter by a strange account who claimed to be a sugar daddy. He said he wasn't interested in sexual relations, but simply wanted to pay me an allowance for keeping him company because he is depressed.

He wanted to send me a electronic check for $2,600 and he directed me to send $1,800 of it to "families affected by COVID-19" and keep the other $800 for myself. I was doing research on how to validate electronic checks before I deposited it and the more I questioned the authenticity of the check, the more hostile he became. I ultimately refused and he threatened to report my phone number, although I didn't do anything illegal.

If I never deposited the check or lost any money, can I still report him for possible fraud? It's difficult to be sure of his true identity because he contacted me on 3 different platforms, but I'm sure I'm not the only victim.

It is a scam. After you cash the check and send the money, his check will bounce.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

AND you can be prosecuted for violating bad check laws. Especially if prosecutors think you had any idea at all the check might not be valid.
      Lot's of people get prosecuted in this very common scam so DO NOT get involved.

tj

Comment

Originally posted by Tish 55 View Post

If I never deposited the check or lost any money,
        Good for you.

can I still report him for possible fraud?
        Sure.

It's difficult to be sure of his true identity because he contacted me on 3 different platforms, but I'm sure I'm not the only victim.
        You're not. He, or she, is a crook sitting in a roomful of crooks doing this to thousands of people.

Comment

This a widely circulating scam and has been for several years though new twists appear. I never heard the "give covid relief" angle before.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)