Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

Hack into another person's Facebook account, is it illegal?

And if yes what is the punishment in the United States, specifically in the state of New York?

Re: Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

Of course it is illegal.

It can be a misdemeanor or a felony.

Comment

Yes, it is. And you can be charged if you do it so. This kind of act is included in the so-called "Facebook Felony" regulation, which was discussed in Congress before Sept. 14th. The felony provision has been changed out of the bill. However, Congress is still thinking about a cyber-security bill. Source of article: Facebook Felony bill amended; lying online not felonious.

Comment

My mother n law hacked into my husbands fb. Can she vet in trouble for it? BC we have proof of her sayin she did

Comment

Yes, it is of course illegal. Having your email hacked is a very dangerous situation. The Facebook TOS makes it clear that unauthorized access of accounts which belong to someone else is a violation of their terms of services and will result in suspension from Facebook. So contact Facebook authorities as soon as you discover your account has been hacked. They will start their own investigation. If caught, the hacker can lose his email account and, if he does perpetuate a financial crime, defames anyone or commits any wrong as a result of the hack, can be arrested and prosecuted. If your email is hacked, but nothing else is done, you should most likely change your password or get a new email account. Moreover, if the hacker knows your email password, you probably are using that same password for many other accounts too. You need to go and change your passwords on all of those other accounts as well. If necessary, make an official complaint with the Police also.

Comment

Someone hacked into my partner's email and found our intimate emails. How do I protect myself from not having these private information exposed ? My partner was in a coma and is still in the hospital .

Comment

I would try to find out her E-Mail and change her pass, when she gets back, give her the pass, but do not spy on her e-mail. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Trollologist View Post
                I would try to find out her E-Mail and change her pass, when she gets back, give her the pass, but do not spy on her e-mail. Seriously.
                I'm sure the issue has been resolved by now. This is one of those situations where you should not do things and make decisions you are ashamed of.
                Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I had the City Attorney press charges against my neighbor and today the case was dismissed from Facebook statues I wrote. They were printed out and given by their lawyer. I had all my privacy settings set at the highest even disabling the ability to search me. They had to hack onto my account. What can I do?

Comment

Originally posted by JCarma View Post
                    I had the City Attorney press charges against my neighbor and today the case was dismissed from Facebook statues I wrote. They were printed out and given by their lawyer. I had all my privacy settings set at the highest even disabling the ability to search me. They had to hack onto my account. What can I do?
                    While you may not be able to pursue criminal charges, you might sue them in a civil suit. The burden of proof is far lower than in a criminal case.

Do you have any actual damages from the hack, other than the invasion of privacy?
                    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
                    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
                    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

This begets the question whether the charge was valid initially.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
                        While you may not be able to pursue criminal charges, you might sue them in a civil suit. The burden of proof is far lower than in a criminal case.

Do you have any actual damages from the hack, other than the invasion of privacy?
                        The case was dismissed due to the Facebook info

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                          This begets the question whether the charge was valid initially.
                          The neighbors hired a tree trimming service and came onto our property and cut down a large area of trees in my backyard including an oak which is illegal to cut in CA

Comment

Originally posted by JCarma View Post
                            The neighbors hired a tree trimming service and came onto our property and cut down a large area of trees in my backyard including an oak which is illegal to cut in CA
                            How was it dismissed via Facebook info? What was the motive for them paying for tree removal?

Comment

They wanted the view. Behind my house they can have a view of the hills. The City Attorney said that I wasn't a credible witness. My husband said then don't use her use me. He said no. He was adamant that my comments lost the case. I never mentioned names or any identifying things.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
                              X