Guild Wars is a subscription free MMO created by Arena Net and published and distributed by NC Soft. There exists an option to tie a Guild Wars account to an NC Soft master account. This linking allows the player to use the in-game store and get game support (support is only available for a linked account). The linking is completely optional, and many playable accounts are not linked to an NC Soft master account.

At no point when the Master Account is created is an additional agreement, besides the original game EULA, made between the player and NC Soft. Linking the account actually changes some aspects of the functionality of the game itself. On an unlinked account it is possible to change the e-mail address log in for the game. On a linked account that becomes impossible. This causes a security risk for the game account itself, and players who are linking the accounts have no forewarning or understanding of that. The player never agrees to allow this type of change.

The second thing that happens is that it becomes possible to change the game password through the NC Soft Master Account without ever accessing the game.

Because there are security differences that I was not aware of when creating the Master Account I have asked that NC Soft unlink my game from the master account, and they have refused. I have told them that I am terminating any agreement between us that allows them to maintain a Master Account in connection with the Guild Wars game and they have said they will not remove the Master Account nor unlink it from the game. I have said that I do not want anyone to be able to change my password from their website and they have said the Master Account allows that functionality and the Master Account will not be removed. I have said that I want to be able to change my original Guild Wars e-mail, they say that is impossible while the game is linked to a Master Account and they will not terminate the Master Account.

Do I have any legal recourse to force them to unlink the account? I have quite literally thousands of hours of play invested in my Guild Wars game account. The recent rash of "compromised accounts" in NC Soft games is disconcerting to a game junkie like me. I have discretionary, disposable, income and I am willing to pay an attorney to help if it appears that I have any reasonable chance of success.

Any thoughts?

What constitutes "Private Information" in privacy statements? Could their own privacy statement be used against them in this case? I don't believe it is possible for them to maintain a Master Account without also maintaining private information within that account, and their privacy statement says they will remove all private information from their databases within 30 days of request. However, when I asked them to remove all private information they told me that my first name, last name nor the game log-in (my private e-mail address) would be removed from the account, but that I could manage the account and use x's over the address and phone number and the separate contact e-mail that I had provided. Which really doesn't sound like them removing all private information from the database.