Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freebies Universal Sweepstakes

I recieved a letter from Freebies Universal Sweepstakes that I won $65,000. They issued me an official check for me to cash in the amount of $3150 for fees and processing. Those fees will be be deducted from the payment amount, making my earnings $61,000 they are sending me the money upfront so i do not have to pay out of pocket for the fees, Do you think this is real or a scam???? I dont want to cash the check w/o making sure this is real...

Re: Freebies Universal Sweepstakes

A common scam. You may report it to your police dept as a first step.

Comment

I also received the same check and letter. When I called the number on the letter and told them I do not have a bank account to deposit this check into they told me to go cash it. When I went to a Washington Mutual Bank branch to cash it, I was advised that it was a fraudulent check. I am going to try to file some type of criminal action against these people.

Comment

My husband also received this same letter and a check. We received notification from our bank after depositing that it was a fraudulent check also. I will be making a report to our local police department after reading this additional info. Thank You

Comment

good thing to do!

Comment

i also got a check in the mail. but if its a fraud what would the company be gaining? like i could understand that if u deposited the check into your account they some how could get ahold of your checking account numbers but i was reading on this forum the one person said that he didnt even have a checking account. i just dont understand how they could be scamming people when they have nothing to gain out of it. i am though going to my bank on friday and i will see what they have to say about the check but it does sound to good to be true though.

Comment

I got the same letter and I opened up a separate bank account to hold the check in. Whether they cash the check or not I will not be sending any money back for the rest of the money. They will not be using me as a guinea pig to cash fraudulent checks for them. I didn't think much about it since I have been on the internet entering contests. I just opened the letter and called them. Then I deposited it into a new account but then I started thinking about researching it. I know I went about it the wrong way but times are hard.

Comment

Don't spend the money as the bank will force you to pay it back. Have the bank's fraud department look at the check as well if you want to ensure all eyes are on the issue in a timely way.

Comment

I got the same letter except the amount that I was going to get was 55 thousand instead of 65. I am not sure what they are gaining by doing this. The man that I spoke to on the phone told me to wait until the check cleared before calling him back and getting an accountant to take care of the legal stuff. I went to the bank and asked them if the check was real before I even considered cashing it and they told me that it was not real. That any time someone sends you a check in the mail asking you to cash it the check is not real. The teller didn

Comment

What are they getting from all this????? Please someone tell me.

Comment

one method--

you cash their bogus check, send some or all funds to them by wire or western union, and then weeks later your bank finally discovers the check was fraudulent and you the depositor are liable, by law!

Comment

What they do is send you a fake check and thet want you to deposit it. it clears your bank before it clears the bank it was issued from. them they ask you to send them monet back to cover processing fees and such and if you send it that check clears your bank then the check they sent you is returned to your bank claiming not sufficinet funds so they get the money from you without actually giving you any money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          I recieved a letter from Freebies Universal Sweepstakes that I won $65,000. They issued me an official check for me to cash in the amount of $3150 for fees and processing. Those fees will be be deducted from the payment amount, making my earnings $61,000 they are sending me the money upfront so i do not have to pay out of pocket for the fees, Do you think this is real or a scam???? I dont want to cash the check w/o making sure this is real...
                          My bank said it is a fruad also, I don't understand the ball game though???????????

Comment

OK, for those of you asking, it works like this.

1. You get a check and letter telling you that you have won.
                            2. When you call the number, they tell you to deposit the check, but withdraw the same amount of money and sent it to them to clear the processing on your prize.
                            3. You do it, by getting a check from your bank in the amount of $3,150, from you account.
                            4. You send it to them, which they immediatley cash.
                            5. You later find out that the check was fradulent. However, since you have already sent them the money, guess who is left in the lurch for the original $3,150 that you withdrew from your ban account.

You're right....You.

BTW, I also get the same letter, but knew it was a scam when I opened it.

Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, IT IS!!!!!

Comment

I received this check also claiming that my actual prize is $55,000. The letter that came with the check said that there were 6 winners, it looks to me like there are more than 6 people on this forum who got the check so that helps to verify that it is a scam.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X