•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of permission request?

This question is a continuation from my previous thread:
    http://www.legaljunkies.com/forumcop...hors-book.html

I am creating an online business that will sell products that provide an in-depth explanation of another author's work. Do I need to write a Permission request to the author's publishing company in order for me to put quotes from the author's book on my website and in the book that I am selling? In my product that I am selling I will basically be referencing the author's book and explaining what specific passages mean. Is this legal?

Re: In need of permission request?

I wish to inform you that under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes of commentary. Hence your work of explanation may be regarded as commentary and thus quote may be allowed under fair use exception without violating copyright. If you intend to quote a major portion of book then you may seek permission or inform owner to avoid any future disputes.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X