Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Complications from Source of Directory Listings

Hi, I intend to start a blog that would be like a directory of text advertisements which I happen to chance on, be it from the newspaper or word of mouth.

I'd like to find out whether there might be any legal complications. Thank you.

Examples(from bargainist.com for sample purposes) of advertisements would be

"Free Prilosec OTC sample
    Anyone who suffers from recurrent heartburn will appreciate this free sample of Prilosec OTC, offered by Wal-Mart. Prilosec OTC blocks acid production for a full 24 hours, giving you the relief you need to get on with your life.
    [Source: The Newspaper]"

"Manhattan Modular Room Divider $54.99
    The Manhattan Oak Veneer Modular Room Divider, $54.99 (reg. $219.99) from Target, is as versatile as it is useful. The bookcase design offers storage and privacy at home or at the office by providing a pleasing break between work spaces.
    [Source: Shop-front Banner]"

Re: Legal Complications from Source of Directory Listings

You can show an ad that is also showing on the web but cannot lift the information in total from somebody else's website in a way that hurts their business or causes confusion etc.. It can be a grey area at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You can show an ad that is also showing on the web but cannot lift the information in total from somebody else's website in a way that hurts their business or causes confusion etc.. It can be a grey area at times.
      Great. Definitely won't be lifting information from other sites of similar nature, but hope no other sites life information from mine too.

Saying so, can i say that there is probably no issue then? Or would I need to seek permission from e.g. Walmart before I post a description of their advert on my advertisement directory blog?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What if there was accidental cause of confusion? For e.g. the original ad posted was only valid until the end of the month but it was not taken down from kitkit80's blog as he was not aware of it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X