No announcement yet.

I accidentally changed my name

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I accidentally changed my name

    I'm not really sure whether this is an immigration issue but I saw nowhere else to put it.

    So I know this sounds silly but this actually happened to me (and I bet it's not too uncommon). I accidentally changed my name.

    I recently became a citizen and by electing not to change my name, I ended up changing my name. You see, the name I was born with is not the name I have used since I've lived in the US. In short, in Mexico you inherit a last name from both parents and here I've only ever used the last name of my father. My entire existence (except for my immigration documentation) has only one last name but when I became a citizen I inadvertently left the second last name and now everything from my new SS card to my new Real ID will need to have a different name. For several reasons (including the fact that everyone else in my family has only the one name), I think I want to keep my current name.

    Anyway, I wasn't sure whether to place my question in this forum or the immigration side but I figure the only thing I can do now is change my name to well, my name. Should cost me about $500 ro so. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something and whether that will basically make things right for me.

    FYI, I became a citizen in August and didn't realize the issue until I went to update my SS record (which I didn't end up doing at that time).

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: I accidentally changed my name

    Rules and procedures for changing your name are set down by state laws and local courts. You will need to provide identification and establish that you are a legal resident. Verify the residency requirements in your state. The law will allow you to change your name as long as you have established yourself as a bona fide resident by living there for a minimum length of time. You can check this requirement by contacting the local county court, where you will also file the necessary paperwork. Ask for the clerk's office, or visit the court's information desk. Gather your Social Security card, current valid birth certificate, and driver's license or other form of valid photo identification. These provide proof of your current legal name. Although not all these documents are necessarily required in every state, it's a good idea to have them ready when you go through this process, in case the court clerk, judge, or magistrate asks to see one or all of them.


    • #3
      You can make the change for less that 500; and can seek a waiver any court costs as well if your income is limited. Just FYI!


      • #4
        The easiest way may be to run into to your local court and get a ruling as to your legal name.

        It happens sometimes as papers etc. get mixed up and the court has to set it strait.


        • #5
          It's not as weird as it seems as the same happened to me.

          I am trying to get the court to change it.


          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  

          the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

          widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.