Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obtaining an American passport for my child born in Ukraine

I'm a US citizen, born and raised in California, who has been living in France for over 20 years, since the age of 23. With my French husband we are considering having a child through surrogacy in Ukraine. France does not recognize surrogacy-born children. But being that I have dual citizenship, I would very much like my child to have American nationality.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to receive the passport directly at the embassy in Ukraine (the birth certificate would be issued in our own names), and what the delay would be? What would be the procedure for going about the process and how soon would I have to begin? And furthermore, would we have any problems coming back to France with our child, or would it be better to pass thru the US 1st?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Re: obtaining an American passport for my child born in Ukraine

A family that is considering surrogacy must choose from one of two types of surrogacy. The first type is called Traditional Surrogacy. Traditional Surrogacy is when the father provides the sperm for the doctors to use with the surrogate's egg. The second type is called Gestational Surrogacy. Gestational Surrogacy is when the surrogate has been provided with the sperm and the egg. The sperm and the egg are usually from the intended parents, but they can be from another source such as a sperm bank. Couples must choose which direction they would like to take before proceeding. You will need a lawyer for the entire surrogacy process. The lawyer will be able to draw up legal documents and explain them to the surrogate. The lawyer will also need to file for adoption of the child once the child is born. If the surrogate's egg is used and the surrogate changes her mind about giving the baby up for adoption, you will have a problem. You will need the lawyer to help ensure this doesn't happen. If your egg and sperm were used, you will be listed as the baby's parents on the birth certificate and no adoption procedure is necessary.

Comment

Unless the child is genetically yours, it will not be entitled to US citizenship.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I had forgotten to mention that this would be GESTATIONAL surrogacy (anonymous egg doner with probably my husband's sperm), and that we would be going through an agency that would take care of many details. But I do repeat: it would be OUR names that would appear as parents of the child on his Birth certificate at the moment that it is issued. Where would it be written that I am not the biological mother? (aside from in the medical documents which would be in OUR possession)

Comment

Originally posted by aireona View Post
          I had forgotten to mention that this would be GESTATIONAL surrogacy (anonymous egg doner with probably my husband's sperm), and that we would be going through an agency that would take care of many details. But I do repeat: it would be OUR names that would appear as parents of the child on his Birth certificate at the moment that it is issued. Where would it be written that I am not the biological mother? (aside from in the medical documents which would be in OUR possession)
          You will be falsifying the paperwork you submit to USCIS. We do not assist people in breaking the law.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

I am not falsify anything. And definitately Not seeking to break the law! The procedure in Ukraine appears to be the same as in California regarding gestational surrogacy. It is the names of the 2 parents seeking the surrogacy that are transcribed on the birth certificate by the authorities. The question that I (still) have is: does it suffice to present the birth certificate at the consulate to receive a passport, or would there be an inquiry as to the circumstances of the child's birth and his genetic whereabouts as well? If I'm seeking this information it's obviously to avoid doing anything wrong. I simply seek to have a child and transmit to him my American citizenship.

Comment

You will be breaking the law, by presenting fraudulent documents claiming you are the birth mother of the child in reference, to USCIS. To process any citizenship paperwork legally, you need to formally adopt the child and process any citizenship papers accordingly.

Comment

However, banning surrogacy or restricting its use in your country does not mean that you cannot use this service in another country. If you find a surrogate where it is officially allowed and do everything legally correct, your country will admit your child without problems. Regarding surrogacy, I found a Ukrainian law translated into English. I advise anyone interested to read it. https://www.mother-surrogate.com/pdf...erhood_law.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post

A family that is considering surrogacy must choose from one of two types of surrogacy. The first type is called Traditional Surrogacy. Traditional Surrogacy is when the father provides the sperm for the doctors to use with the surrogate's egg. The second type is called Gestational Surrogacy. Gestational Surrogacy is when the surrogate has been provided with the sperm and the egg. The sperm and the egg are usually from the intended parents, but they can be from another source such as a sperm bank. Couples must choose which direction they would like to take before proceeding. You will need a lawyer for the entire surrogacy process. The lawyer will be able to draw up legal documents and explain them to the surrogate. The lawyer will also need to file for adoption of the child once the child is born. If the surrogate's egg is used and the surrogate changes her mind about giving the baby up for adoption, you will have a problem. You will need the lawyer to help ensure this doesn't happen. If your egg and sperm were used, you will be listed as the baby's parents on the birth certificate and no adoption procedure is necessary.
                  thanks, very helpful!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X