Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. ID Issue

I’m not sure if this is the right forum but this is our situation/question: My half-brother is a 68 year old German-born male who came to States in ‘59 at age 7. Our mother became naturalized in ‘67 so he would have naturalization through derivation. He attended catholic schools and joined the military. Many years ago he lost ALL forms of ID (drivers license, birth certificate, SS card (but knows his number), military ID).

We very recently replaced his birth record. He is residing in PA at a hotel so has no real current proof of residency. He has survived on cash-paying jobs since losing ID.

He recently got a job but is unable to cash his paychecks for lack of photo ID. I’m thinking a passport would be easier to obtain than a state issued ID as those requirements ask for too many things he has no access to. For a passport he does have his mother’s naturalization certificate. We are currently trying to obtain school records for proof of residency at the time of naturalization. Trying to determine what other documents will suffice for passport application. As I’ve said, we have his foreign born birth record (no father listed) so his last name is same as mother’s maiden name, mother’s Naturalization Certificate although it contains her married name (currently trying to locate that marriage certificate but not sure if it’s necessary). Also have a copy of her granted request to return to her maiden name from a second marriage and a photocopy of the ship’s manifest from their arrival at Ellis Island. Wondering if this is enough or if this is even the correct forum to be posting in.

Thank you in advance.

I’m not sure if this is the right forum
    This is as good as any.

Wondering if this is enough
    One way to find out. Have your half brother take all that material to the passport office and apply for a passport. If anything else is needed, they will tell you.

Meantime, can he get his paychecks direct deposited to his checking account (if he has or can get one)?

He can request his US military records at the following site.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

Comment

I am not sure if the state ID might be easier, especially in smaller towns even more so, and they usually allow documents to supplement and pull everything together if you can show who you are with all those records. They are flexible.

He DOES have enough history to do that, probably from military and school records alone. The hotel bills are ok for residence if that is where he intends to be for a while and has been there over 30 days. He can even stay with somebody and that person can attend the DMV office with him. etc
      And if he knows the SS number the VA may help him get the card as well.

tj

Comment

At his age he should also be applying for VA health care benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by adjusterjack View Post

Meantime, can he get his paychecks direct deposited to his checking account (if he has or can get one)?

He can request his US military records at the following site.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records
          No, no checking account and he can’t get one without ID, he has been living by the seat of his pants since losing his ID (back when driver’s licenses were still printed on card stock).

We tried depositing his check into my account as my bank is listed as one that accepts 3rd party checks, I am a 40-year customer, & there is enough money in the account to cover the check in the event it was bad several times over but they refused because he had no photo ID.

He does have a copy of his military records but he said he threw his military ID away once it expired.

Comment

I would start with the military records and start obtaining everything that can be obtained...then take next steps

BTW you can also go to the local court and get a court order as to ID of the person, and/or other related matters.
            But you need as much info as you can get to do that and make it work. it's a process. No avoiding that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              I am not sure if the state ID might be easier, especially in smaller towns even more so, and they usually allow documents to supplement and pull everything together if you can show who you are with all those records. They are flexible.

He DOES have enough history to do that, probably from military and school records alone. The hotel bills are ok for residence if that is where he intends to be for a while and has been there over 30 days. He can even stay with somebody and that person can attend the DMV office with him. etc
              And if he knows the SS number the VA may help him get the card as well.

tj
              We are in a medium sized metro area (50,000+) but penndot’s website wants an SS card and 2 forms of either w-2s, lease or rental agreement, utility bill in his name, etc. None of which he has. Since his naturalization is through our mother he has no document of his own and the one they require costs $1.1k. That’s why I figured a passport card might be easier.

I also just read a review for our local post office passport office where someone stated the birth certificate must have BOTH parents name. His is foreign and his father was not named so it is blank. Makes me think they would find it doubly unacceptable.

Comment

I also just read a review for our local post office passport office where someone stated the birth certificate must have BOTH parents name. His is foreign and his father was not named so it is blank. Makes me think they would find it doubly unacceptable.
                Forget about what you read in somebody's review.

Go to the passport site and study all the blue links for the requirements. Don't assume anything.

https://www.us-passport-service-guid...-passport.html

All this ID stuff is likely to take months to resolve. His priority should be to go to his employer and arrange some way of getting paid other than by checks he can't cash.

Comment

Originally posted by User9999 View Post

We are in a medium sized metro area (50,000+) but penndot’s website wants an SS card and 2 forms of either w-2s, lease or rental agreement, utility bill in his name, etc. None of which he has. Since his naturalization is through our mother he has no document of his own and the one they require costs $1.1k. That’s why I figured a passport card might be easier.

They do mention that other documents can help tie all the pieces together if not available, and they even mention eg that if you don't have a residence and are staying with somebody, that person can come with you...it does show some flexibility.

My own personal experience in another state was the same, they are flexible if you have reasons for needing the flexibility but you still need to prove who you really are.
                  So you have get a lot of historical docs together no matter what. Those docs do exist in various archives and organizations.

Jake

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)