Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regaining US citizenship that I gave up

I naturalized and became a U.S. citizen when I was 22 back in 1998. I had previously held South Korean citizenship, and as dual citizenship is not allowed under South Korean law, I had to give up my S.K. citizenship.

After many years, I'm now living in South Korea, and am thinking about regaining my Korean citizenship (I'm living here with a visa, but it has its drawbacks). I can do this, but I would now have to give up my U.S. citizenship, which is fine.

The question is, say some time down the line, if I want to move back to the U.S., is regaining my lost U.S. citizenship be a problem? And if I can get it back, how long of a process am I looking at?

Re: Regaining US citizenship that I gave up

You normally would have to start from ground zero again and that could take a number of years.

Comment

yes you have to start from all over again for u.s citizenship
      personal advice dont give it up if u are surviving well in the united states

Comment

Hi all! I hope some one of you must have the answer to the following:

I have a query. I am a citizen of India and a lawful permanent resident of the United States as I have my green card. I was here in the US about 25 years back(1980-1983) when I was a child. Due to some familial problems, my parents and I had to return to my home country after staying here for 2.5 years and couldnt come back to the US for next 25 years. During the course of time, we changed houses in India and there were a lot of things we thought we lost. My green card was among them. But I always had a dream of coming here back and I passed my USMLEs. This time I came here on a visitors visa as I didnt have my green card handy while I was taking my exams. Recently in the lot of old things, my parents found their and mine green cards back, intact. We have found every document related to our stay in the United States for two and a half years during that time, including our green cards. I want to ask, how can I reclaim to have my green card renewed so I can again attain the status of a lawful permanent status of the US. I would be extremely grateful if you could help me out in this matter.

Looking forward to your reply,

Yours truly

Karan Sharma
        [email protected]

Comment

See your other post.

Comment

hi
            I was born in California in 1981 and live there till i was three.
            My family then moved to the uk where I have been living from the age of three to present.
            I am a British citizen dew to my dad being English I guess.
            I had an american passport from the age of 8 I believe.
            I want to know if I could get my us citizenship back. or have dual nationality again.
            How do I go about doing this?

contact me on [email protected]
            thanks

Comment

I really want to give up my u.s citizenship and move to Germany my grad parents are from Germany I hate the us so much

Comment

At least someone doesn't like taxpayer money.

Originally posted by anthony123 View Post
                I really want to give up my u.s citizenship and move to Germany my grad parents are from Germany I hate the us so much
                Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

were u banned from going back to the US for 25 yrs?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Hi all! I hope some one of you must have the answer to the following:

I have a query. I am a citizen of India and a lawful permanent resident of the United States as I have my green card. I was here in the US about 25 years back(1980-1983) when I was a child. Due to some familial problems, my parents and I had to return to my home country after staying here for 2.5 years and couldnt come back to the US for next 25 years. During the course of time, we changed houses in India and there were a lot of things we thought we lost. My green card was among them. But I always had a dream of coming here back and I passed my USMLEs. This time I came here on a visitors visa as I didnt have my green card handy while I was taking my exams. Recently in the lot of old things, my parents found their and mine green cards back, intact. We have found every document related to our stay in the United States for two and a half years during that time, including our green cards. I want to ask, how can I reclaim to have my green card renewed so I can again attain the status of a lawful permanent status of the US. I would be extremely grateful if you could help me out in this matter.

Looking forward to your reply,

Yours truly

Karan Sharma
                    [email protected]

were u banned from going back to the US for 25 yrs?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X