USAC Banner 728x90



No announcement yet.

How to change visa status from J2 to J1?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to change visa status from J2 to J1?

    Hi, I am currently on j2 visa for nearly 3 months, now I have found a postdoctoral position in USA. They may provide J1 visa for me. So I wanna convert my status from J2 to J1.
    But based on American law, individuals currently in J status (including J-2) who are subject to the Two-Year Foreign Residency Requirement INA 212(e) may not change status in the U.S. unless a waiver has been granted. I also got some information from my friends that the alternative method to become a J-1 is through traveling and re-entering the U.S. in my new visa status. In this case, I must apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.
    Is it true? As for my visa change from J-2 to J-1, whether going to Canada is better than going back to China? My husband just came to USA for about 4 months, so he didn't experience waiver. I wondered whether my visa change to J-1 is possible? How can I do?

    I would greatly appreciate if somebody could let me know about this.
    Thanks so much!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.