Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green card renewal: Do I face deportation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card renewal: Do I face deportation?

My green card was stolen many years ago and I didn't replace it. I have been working, paying taxes, etc. but now realize its time to replace my green card. I have put it off due to the fact that 26 years ago I committed a felony and served 1 year in jail for stealing money from my employer. Will I have a problem renewing my green card, and do I face deportation? Thanks.

re: Green card renewal: Do I face deportation?

At the time you were convicted of the felony, did the judge mention anything about deportation?

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "If you are a lawful permanent resident whose ten-year I-551 has expired or will expire within the next six months, you may renew your card by filing an Form I-90. You may lose your permanent resident status (green card) if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law, as described in Section 237 or 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see the “INA” link to the right). If you commit such an act, you may be brought before an immigration court to determine your right to remain a permanent resident. If your application for a renewal of your permanent resident card is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied."

You may want to read through the USCIS website about the laws regarding permanent resident status and felonies.
    http://bidsfromlawyers.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X