USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change visa status from J2 to J1?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change visa status from J2 to J1?

Hi,I am currently on j2 visa for nearly 3 months, now I have found a postdoctoral position in USA. They may provide J1 visa for me. So I wanna convert my status from J2 to J1. (My husband with J1 status just came to USA for about 4 months, so he didn't experience waiver. )
    But based on American law, individuals currently in J status (including J-2) who are subject to the Two-Year Foreign Resigency Requirement INA 212(e) may not change status in the U.S. unless a waiver has been granted. I also got some information from my friends that the alternative method to become a J-1 is through traveling and re-entering the U.S. in my new visa status. In this case, I must apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.
    Is it true? As for my visa change from J-2 to J-1, is it possible and necessary to go back China for changing my visa status? How about going to Canada? How can I do?

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could let me know about this.
    Thanks so much!

Re: How to change visa status from J2 to J1?

I wish to inform you that you can change your status from J2 visa category if your Form I-539 is approved. You can adjust your status if you intend to become full time student in USA. You can adjust your status in USA.

AFF

Comment

Hi, AFFA:
      Thanks a lot for your kind reply, but I already got my Ph.D. degree from Korea, I just want to work as a Postdoc fellow with my husband. So is it necessary to form I-539? Don't have any other ways?

Comment

Dear just log in at sundlassblog.com & they have written about how to change your visa, you will get the answer.

Comment

Hi
          I am in the same case here plus that my visa J-2 will expire in two months.. Did you find the solution?
          Please let me know what you have done?
          Thanks a lot!

Comment

Hi i need jour help, i am in the same case, please let me know if you had changed your j2 to j1 and got your post doc. Thannk you a lot

Comment

Originally posted by wygcy2012 View Post
              Hi,I am currently on j2 visa for nearly 3 months, now I have found a postdoctoral position in USA. They may provide J1 visa for me. So I wanna convert my status from J2 to J1. (My husband with J1 status just came to USA for about 4 months, so he didn't experience waiver. )
              But based on American law, individuals currently in J status (including J-2) who are subject to the Two-Year Foreign Resigency Requirement INA 212(e) may not change status in the U.S. unless a waiver has been granted. I also got some information from my friends that the alternative method to become a J-1 is through traveling and re-entering the U.S. in my new visa status. In this case, I must apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.
              Is it true? As for my visa change from J-2 to J-1, is it possible and necessary to go back China for changing my visa status? How about going to Canada? How can I do?

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could let me know about this.
              Thanks so much!
              If you have found the solution, please share with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Hi i need jour help, i am in the same case, please let me know if you had changed your j2 to j1 and got your post doc. Thannk you a lot
                Did you sort out the issue?
                Thank you

Comment

Hi. How did you sort out the issue? I have a similar problem. I have recently applied for J2 VISA and have my biometric done at the embassy. I am to appear for the personal interview this week. Now I just got a Postdoctoral position in the US offered to me. Accordingly, I'll have to apply for J1 VISA.
                  My concern is if I appear for my upcoming interview for J2 VISA approval and thereafter I get my J2 VISA approved, will I be able to apply and get J1 work VISA for the Postdoctoral position I just got? I will not travel to the US with my J2 VISA, instead, I want to stay back in my country and start my application for J1 VISA. What are steps to apply and will it be difficult to get J1 VISA? Please help.

Comment

I wish to inform you that J-1 and J-2 Exchange Visitors who are subject to the two-year home-country residence requirement are prohibited from changing status within the U.S., except to A or G status. You will need to apply for J-1 visa in your home country. You may contact an attorney and seek further guidance.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X