Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on an F1 visa for studies and want to work as a camp counselor

I came to the US the last two summers in a row on a J1 visa to work as a camp counselor. I\'m back in the US again, this year but this time on an F1 visa for studies and would still want to work as a camp counselor in the summer, how can I go about this?... If the exchange program visa sponsor issues me a DS2019, is there a way I could just file that?.. I\'m returning to the same camp, in another town from the school but same state. NB. My last two J1 Visas were \"cancelled without prejudice\" each time I was issued another visa. My country is subject to the 212.E.

Re: I'm on an F1 visa for studies and want to work as a camp counselor

I wish to inform you that on F1 except for an on-campus employment of 20 hours a week or less, usually in US students having F-1 visa are not permitted to work without prior approval from USCIS. Students are allowed to work for a total period of 40 months towards practical training (eg. internship), and this can be divided between Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training. Further students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) are authorized to legally work under OPT for 29 months. DS-2019 is required for J1 visa. Now if you desire you can convert your F1 visa into a J1 visa by filling Form I-539.

AFF

Comment

Re: I'm on an F1 visa for studies and want to work as a camp counselor

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I came to the US the last two summers in a row on a J1 visa to work as a camp counselor. I\'m back in the US again, this year but this time on an F1 visa for studies and would still want to work as a camp counselor in the summer, how can I go about this?... If the exchange program visa sponsor issues me a DS2019, is there a way I could just file that?.. I\'m returning to the same camp, in another town from the school but same state. NB. My last two J1 Visas were \"cancelled without prejudice\" each time I was issued another visa. My country is subject to the 212.E.
      There are two ways in which you could change your status from F-1 to J-1. The first is to file a Form I-539 application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Go to USCIS Home Page to obtain a copy of the form and instructions on how to complete it.

The other method is to leave the US and apply for a J-1 visa at a US consulate abroad. For the J-1 type of visa, it would be best to apply at the same consulate where you obtained the previous J-1 visas.

If you apply for a change of status through USCIS, it could take a long time for them to process it. (You can find the processing time at https://egov.uscis.gov for the Service Center where you would submit your I-539 application.)

Comment

Did you end up working at camp? If yes, how did you go about it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X