Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage and permanent residency

Hi, I am 21 years old, I got my green card in 2005 from the asylum status. My boyfriend and I are planning getting married, he is a foreign student, he\'s now holding F-1 visa (they are still effective until next year) We would like to know that if we get married, can he become a resident, namely, can he be granted a legal work permit or some kind of residency in the States? Thank you very much!

Re: Marriage and permanent residency

Yes, there should be no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Hi, I am 21 years old, I got my green card in 2005 from the asylum status. My boyfriend and I are planning getting married, he is a foreign student, he\'s now holding F-1 visa (they are still effective until next year) We would like to know that if we get married, can he become a resident, namely, can he be granted a legal work permit or some kind of residency in the States? Thank you very much!

I am with the same situation and I have a chance talking to one of lawyer and He told that will be illegal if my fiancee introduce my name in her visa

Comment

If you marry someone as an F-1 student, it does not guarantee you will be permitted to stay in the country. In fact, it may be grounds for deportation!

Research the K-1 Fiance(e) visa. It is the proper way to enter the United States and marry a citizen. As far as residency and the pathway to citizenship goes: do NOT suggest at ANY point that you have intent to remain in the United States! This is cause for immediate loss of status because:

a) Any non-immigrant status (F-1) is immediately invalidated when you show intent to immigrate.

b) Should you acquire a K-1 visa, you still may not be safe because it is still a non-immigrant visa.

The K-1 visa can allow the fiance(e) to work in the United States 90 days prior to the wedding and onward. You MUST have wed by the time those 90 days are up, or you will lose your K-1 status and the non-resident will have to return to his or her home country and start the fairly long process again.

While marriage is a sure way to gain citizenship if you are going about it the right way, there is a process involved and acquiring citizenship is far from immediate. Make sure you read up on the specifics: I suggest the K-1 visa to be the first thing you read up on, because as I said, it is the only way you can legally enter the United States for the purposes of marriage. Also note that should he be permitted entry under K-1 status, he will lose his F-1 student status.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X