USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an illegal immigrant get deported if he/she has to go to court for a Hearing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an illegal immigrant get deported if he/she has to go to court for a Hearing?

Will an illegal immigrant get deported if he/she has to go to court for a Hearing?

My rent has never been late, but this last month I had some issues to pay. I paid everything plus the late fees on the 18th day. And I received a letter 2 days later from the LL saying that I was scheduled to a Recovery Property Hearing. I got a little worried about that and talked to my fiance for some insight, he told me to just show up with the copies of my receipts to prove that I have paid my rent and it should be OK. I'm now worried about my visa status situation, my visa is been overstayed. Is that could be a problem if I go to court? What paperwork they will check?
    My fiance is american citizen and we plan to get married next year.

Thank you for any help or insight in this matter!

Re: Will an illegal immigrant get deported if he/she has to go to court for a Hearing

I wish to inform you that generally your immigration status is not an issue in the lawsuit. Immigration matter is different from your rent action. In this generally court may not object to your immigration status and you can show your receipts and file a motion to have the case dismissed. If someone reports to immigration department then they may take action.

AFF

Comment

Re: Will an illegal immigrant get deported if he/she has to go to court for a Hearing

You will have logged another record of your overstay. Expect to be deported for your 10 year ban, regardless of an illegal marriage, when you approach immigration.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by dinalee View Post

My rent has never been late, but this last month I had some issues to pay. I paid everything plus the late fees on the 18th day. And I received a letter 2 days later from the LL saying that I was scheduled to a Recovery Property Hearing. I got a little worried about that and talked to my fiance for some insight, he told me to just show up with the copies of my receipts to prove that I have paid my rent and it should be OK. I'm now worried about my visa status situation, my visa is been overstayed. Is that could be a problem if I go to court? What paperwork they will check?

Despite what many illegal immigrants may think, we Americans do not have ICE agents hanging out at all the courthouses, looking for people they suspect of being illegal to deport.

Your case is one that is a civil, not a criminal matter. Those rarely get the ICE folks involved unless someone already has good reason to believe you're illegal and has reported you. Even then, the hearing itself would only provide them with a place to look for you if someone decided they needed to do so, just like going to a job or church at a specific time and place.

Civil cases don't generally put one's residency status on display, and is it an extremely rare occasion when they even ask about it, unless it is specifically relevant to a case that's being heard. It's the criminal offenses that usually prompt authorities to start checking legal status - and only then, when the case is sufficiently serious enough to warrant it.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

How is your court situation ?

Comment

Originally posted by dinalee View Post

Just want to know how was your court ? Is everything went good?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X