Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being sued in civil court with expired visa

My girlfriends visa expired sometime back. While it was expired she was consignee on a renters lease for an apartment. During her stay there was a fire at the apartment. Now a year later she has been received a letter informing her the insurance company is intending to sue.

Now her name is spelled wrong on the letter, and they have no social security number for her. If she showed up to court what it put her in jeopardy of deportation. IF she didnt show up and the judgement defaulted, how far will they go to collect. She doesn't have or need credit. Can immigration issues come up though a civil matter? They also sent the letter to my house in c/o the homeowner, which is a name the insurance company never was given.... which scares me too. Will they be hounding the property looking for her? What can/should she do?

Re: being sued in civil court with expired visa

I wish to inform you that present case by insurance company is not regarding visa overstay. In this case if the fact of visa overstay comes out, court may order a new trial because of visa overstay. However, visa overstay is a different matter and your girlfriend cannot be punished in this trial. As regarding you in this case, the case against you cannot be filed. Your girlfriend was consignee and not you. There is no reason as to why you should be involved in this. You can submit to court that as you were not involved hence you should not be made liable. Further, if the insurance company thinks that your girlfriend stays at your home then notice of your girlfriend can be given at your home and in this you can inform that your girlfriend does not stay at your home.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X