Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an illegal alien become legal by marrying a US resident?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi my friend has been in the US since he was 15 he's 36 since the new law he has been deported but then came back. What can I do to help him get his papers back. This is driving us all crazy he's a good person just not to bright when it comes to the law and how to deal with paperwork.

Comment

Re: Can an illegal alien become legal by marrying a US resident?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hi my friend has been in the US since he was 15 he's 36 since the new law he has been deported but then came back. What can I do to help him get his papers back. This is driving us all crazy he's a good person just not to bright when it comes to the law and how to deal with paperwork.
      Why was he deported? If it was because he was illegal in the first place and never made an effort to become a legal permanent resident, there may be little he can do since he's already been deported. He should consult immediately with an immigration attorney to discuss his options.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

This might be of some help and guidance to all of you.

Especially that 'bad-ass' we got here; If you know whom I'm talking about.

Becoming American: Understanding legal and illegal immigration | LegalZoom

Comment

Not a very informative link as it does not address the issues of the illegals asking questions here.

Originally posted by Agreeable View Post
          This might be of some help and guidance to all of you.

Especially that 'bad-ass' we got here; If you know whom I'm talking about.

Becoming American: Understanding legal and illegal immigration | LegalZoom
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

hi, my friend is an immigrant and wants to pay me money to marry me and become a citizen. what do i do?

Comment

This person replying is obviously a ******bag

If you marry your bf he can get a legal resident card.
              In astronomically rare circumstances, it might be forgiven. You think you have more knowledge than you do. Like all the other people committing fraudulent acts along with the illegals no doubt. all talk, but when push comes to shove you have nothing but conjecture.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Please Ask What Their Proccess Was ! I Don't Want My Fiance To Have To Leave.
                I hired an immigration laywer they helped us. And for cheap and he never had to leave to go back. Hope this helps wish you the best.

Comment

I am a permanent resident, in which it will expire March of next year, 2014. I have recently married an illegal immigrant and would like to know if i can petition for him as a permanent resident myself or should i try to become U>S citizen first?

Comment

I am marrying a woman that entered the US legally in 2017 and overstayed till now.

Will I have any problems making it so she is able to stay in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by hhj77 View Post
                      I am marrying a woman that entered the US legally in 2017 and overstayed till now.

Stop hijacking other people's long dead threads.

If you have a legal question START YOUR OWN.

Comment

Originally posted by hhj77 View Post

If the marriage is legit and done legally and properly, that will cure her overstay and you two can live in the USA forever. (the authorities will always check to see that the marriage is legit, as you likely know)

Comment

Under the U.S. immigration laws, immigrants who marry U.S. citizens or permanent residents are among the categories of people allowed to apply for green cards. If the marriage is to a U.S. citizen, then the immigrant is an "immediate relative," meaning that an unlimited number of immigrant visas (green cards) are available in that category every year, so that the immigrant won't end up on a waiting list. If the marriage is to a U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), then the immigrant is in preference category 2A, meaning there are a limited number of visas every year, and the immigrant will be on a waiting list. But it's not as long a wait as in some other categories (typically from two to five years).

Whether an immigrant who is living in the U.S. can "adjust status" (apply for a green card without leaving the United States) depends on whether he or she fits into one of a few narrow exceptions. The immigrant can adjust status only if he or she either:
                          • legally entered the U.S., most likely with a visa or after inspection by an immigration officer (and the immigrant wasn't just using the visa with the intention of applying for a green card based on marriage, which happens to be visa fraud), and is either marrying a U.S. citizen or is still on a valid visa, or
                          • had a visa petition or labor certification filed for him or her several years ago when a law called "245(i)" was still in force.

If, however, the immigrant entered the United States by unlawful means, such as having been a stowaway or crossing over the border through a fence, adjustment of status is not a procedural option. In that case, the only possibility is to apply for the green card through a different procedure, called "consular processing."

Comment

excellent, points all, helped me a lot.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X