No announcement yet.

working papers?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • working papers?

    Hi, we are in the process of getting the money together to file for change of circumstance as myself and my Son are English. I married an American citizen 5 yrs ago and moved to the US, and we thought I was legal. (So did the judge who married us too). My son is still at school but wants to work for the summer, he is 16. Can he work in the US before we can get the forms to the INS? If so, what does he need? Thanks ever so much.

  • #2
    Re: working papers?

    we thought I was legal. (So did the judge who married us too).

    Hi: What do you mean by this above?


    • #3
      Re: working papers?

      Thanks for your response. The Florida Judge never implied that there was anything further needed rather than just apply for citizenship which would be automatically granted due to our marriage. So we never really thought much more about it until it came time to exercise normal rights such as the right to work, vote, drivers licenses, etc. Then even the people we talked to in government positions were suprised that citizenship is not automatically awarded after mariage nor after the birth of our child in the U.S. It seems that just about all of them had an uncle, brother or etc. that came home with a war bride and never had to register, pay or otherwise: so they (and we) just assumed that it was automatic.
      Now that we know that we need to do this we are saving for the fees and hope to soon resolve this problem.
      But our question is, our sixteen year old wants to work this summer but at this time has no ssn. Is this possible? If so what steps do we need to do in order to make it so? We've had lots of people try and find the answers for us but no real luck as of yet.
      Thank you for your time and advise.
      doug and leesa carter


      • #4
        Re: working papers?

        Frankly you should get legal counsel to help rectify this situation as you have been in default for a very long time and your rights could be affected severely. Counsel could help apply for a remedy to this but I at least would not advise doing this by yourself.


        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

        the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

        widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.