Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malicious Nurse. Do I have recourse?

In Oct I sought treatment at what was told to me to be a psych/counseling center for some grief and anxiety issues I was having. It was an inpatient center my psychiatrist told me about but was not familiar with. Upon cking in this place they took all my medications. I brought all my bottles with me. I have severe Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, sleep disorder, depression, GERD and had just had knee surgery the week before and was using a brace and cane. These people locked my meds up and were to dispense them to me as prescribed. I protested but they insisted. It was very late at night so I went to my room and slept. The next morning I realized this facility was tailored more for drug addicts and the "counselor" was not even a licensed social worker. So I told the so-called counselor I wanted to leave. I had to go to a room where a male nurse spoke with me for a minute and told me that he had counted my pills in each bottle and because there were 8 medications and four different doctor names on them I was in his words " A Doctor shopper and a drug addict". I told him I have a family doctor, a psychiatrist, a pain clinic and a surgeon who just wrote out an anti-inflammatory. I was so mad at his tone, demeanor and insult I told him to F off and give me my pills and I was leaving. Once again my meds were counted without me being present and not under dual control. I refused to sign the discharge paperwork because of that. When I got home I discovered that I was short 21 of my pain pills and 20 of an anti anxiety pills. I rationed until I had my next appointment with my pain clinic three weeks later and I reported this incident and the shortage to my psychiatrist. When I went to my pain clinic appointment I was kept waiting for an hour and a half which was extremely unusual and finally taken to the extreme back of the building by two large males and into a room where an administrator told me that they received a letter from a male nurse at the outpatient treatment center I went to three weeks earlier and he wrote that I was taking more than double my dose of pain medication and they counted I was also abusing an anti anxiety drug. The pain clinic said they were discontinuing their treatment of me. I was mortified. I explained what happened and told them I could not be taking that much pain medication or I would have run out in just two weeks and would be in withdrawal. They would not listen and cut me off my pain pills and a scheduled surgery on my back. I called my family doctor and he said since the pain clinic cut me off he would not be able to write out any pain meds either. I was being prescribed 80mgs of oxycodone per day by the pain clinic and I was forced to stop cold. I went into immediate and severe withdrawal. I had severe symptoms of withdrawal lasting two months. And now because I am in so much pain I am severely limited and my life now consists of sitting on my couch the entire day. I rarely bathe, I cannot clean my house anymore. I am unable to shop or cook for myself. I have no family to help me. I want to know if this malicious nurse who took it upon himself to mean spiritly take time to purposely write a false and derogatory letter about me to my pain clinic and hence I was summarily dismissed by them and have suffered so significantly, can be held accountable for his action? Oddly enough this treatment center has contacted me three times this past week and left voicemails asking me to call back saying they are doing a survey and want to know how I am doing. I have not called back as I don't want to say anything that could jeopardize any litigation.

Re: Malicious Nurse. Do I have recourse?

I wish to inform you that you can give notice to hospital as well as nurse for negligence and pain suffered by you. In this regard hospital is liable for acts of their employees as well as the deficiency in service served to you. It is expected that a hospital authorities will cater to needs of patient. It is duty of doctor to prescribe medicine as per needs of patient and hence doctor can be held liable along with other persons.

AFF

Comment

It sounds like you were addicted and out of control. You appear to have been unhappy they did not give free reign of your pills and left. It is not abnormal for one medical facility to report to when they feel a patient is abusing meds to another. Having taken Oxy before, all it does is make you stoned, it does not stop pain. I suggest you invest in some 151.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenncasey View Post
        In Oct I sought treatment at what was told to me to be a psych/counseling center for some grief and anxiety issues I was having. It was an inpatient center my psychiatrist told me about but was not familiar with. Upon cking in this place they took all my medications. I brought all my bottles with me. I have severe Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, sleep disorder, depression, GERD and had just had knee surgery the week before and was using a brace and cane. These people locked my meds up and were to dispense them to me as prescribed. I protested but they insisted. It was very late at night so I went to my room and slept. The next morning I realized this facility was tailored more for drug addicts and the "counselor" was not even a licensed social worker. So I told the so-called counselor I wanted to leave. I had to go to a room where a male nurse spoke with me for a minute and told me that he had counted my pills in each bottle and because there were 8 medications and four different doctor names on them I was in his words " A Doctor shopper and a drug addict". I told him I have a family doctor, a psychiatrist, a pain clinic and a surgeon who just wrote out an anti-inflammatory. I was so mad at his tone, demeanor and insult I told him to F off and give me my pills and I was leaving. Once again my meds were counted without me being present and not under dual control. I refused to sign the discharge paperwork because of that. When I got home I discovered that I was short 21 of my pain pills and 20 of an anti anxiety pills. I rationed until I had my next appointment with my pain clinic three weeks later and I reported this incident and the shortage to my psychiatrist. When I went to my pain clinic appointment I was kept waiting for an hour and a half which was extremely unusual and finally taken to the extreme back of the building by two large males and into a room where an administrator told me that they received a letter from a male nurse at the outpatient treatment center I went to three weeks earlier and he wrote that I was taking more than double my dose of pain medication and they counted I was also abusing an anti anxiety drug. The pain clinic said they were discontinuing their treatment of me. I was mortified. I explained what happened and told them I could not be taking that much pain medication or I would have run out in just two weeks and would be in withdrawal. They would not listen and cut me off my pain pills and a scheduled surgery on my back. I called my family doctor and he said since the pain clinic cut me off he would not be able to write out any pain meds either. I was being prescribed 80mgs of oxycodone per day by the pain clinic and I was forced to stop cold. I went into immediate and severe withdrawal. I had severe symptoms of withdrawal lasting two months. And now because I am in so much pain I am severely limited and my life now consists of sitting on my couch the entire day. I rarely bathe, I cannot clean my house anymore. I am unable to shop or cook for myself. I have no family to help me. I want to know if this malicious nurse who took it upon himself to mean spiritly take time to purposely write a false and derogatory letter about me to my pain clinic and hence I was summarily dismissed by them and have suffered so significantly, can be held accountable for his action? Oddly enough this treatment center has contacted me three times this past week and left voicemails asking me to call back saying they are doing a survey and want to know how I am doing. I have not called back as I don't want to say anything that could jeopardize any litigation.
        What you describe as "severe withdrawal" indicates an addiction to oxycodone and that necessitates a physician cut you off that addictive medication.

The theft of your medication is troubling,however, and that should be reported to your state's licensing agency. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for some in the health care field to either steal medication for themselves or for sale.

If you are contemplating suit, consult with a personal injury attorney whose area of practice includes medical malpractice for such a lawyer has resources to know proper protocols in situations like yours.

Having several physicians prescribing medications for you is dangerous for you can end up taking medications that conflict with each other and/or overdose on certain ones. There should be central source,one physician, overseeing the medications you are prescribed so you do not end up with a pharmaceutical caused medical crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
          It sounds like you were addicted and out of control. You appear to have been unhappy they did not give free reign of your pills and left. It is not abnormal for one medical facility to report to when they feel a patient is abusing meds to another. Having taken Oxy before, all it does is make you stoned, it does not stop pain. I suggest you invest in some 151.
          I was physically addicted as chronic pain patients are after just a few weeks of being LEGALLY medicated for pain. Please note I was being treated at a PAIN MGMT CLINIC and not drugging on the streets. You are very insensitive just like the male nurse who caused the mental anguish for me. Glad your type is not the norm in the medical community.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
            I wish to inform you that you can give notice to hospital as well as nurse for negligence and pain suffered by you. In this regard hospital is liable for acts of their employees as well as the deficiency in service served to you. It is expected that a hospital authorities will cater to needs of patient. It is duty of doctor to prescribe medicine as per needs of patient and hence doctor can be held liable along with other persons.

AFF
            Is this a legally binding challenge? I am not interested in revenge, just compliance with the law and making sure this doesn't happen to someone in either the treatment centers care and/or the hospitals pain clinics care.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenncasey View Post
              I was physically addicted as chronic pain patients are after just a few weeks of being LEGALLY medicated for pain. Please note I was being treated at a PAIN MGMT CLINIC and not drugging on the streets. You are very insensitive just like the male nurse who caused the mental anguish for me. Glad your type is not the norm in the medical community.
              Sweetness, I have herniated discs and 4 pinched nerves among my long list of medical impairments. I am insensitive because due to my employment, I could not take narcotics and was on the suffer method for decades in order to work. Narcotics do not stop the pain, they drug you so much you do not care about it. I was taking Oxy and it did not stop my pain.

Now that we have shaken hands, you needed that dry out time. When you become addicted to narcotics, your brain creates pain to get you to keep taking them. Everyone on them needs a dry out period. I also suffer your laundry list of can't do's.

I will throw you a thought. I usually drink 151 in the evening when the pain is bad. I have been working on Lord Calvert recently because I picked up a case free. Be careful you don't turn into a drunk by using it all the time. 2-4 shots w/coke is usually sufficient.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Sir Sweetness, I'm certainly not going to argue with a former drug addict now turned alcoholic about my story. I simply wanted to know from a qualified LEGAL consultant and NOT a peanut gallery what options, if any, I had against this malicious, go out of his way, busybody for sending an uneccesary letter of falsehoods to my pain clinic. You really had no horse in this race so please refrain from commenting further unless perhaps before you lost your law liscense for drugging and drinking you have some expertise in this area. Thanks for nothing.

Comment

LOL, I have never been addicted to narcotics or alcohol. I know when to stop. Enough about me though. It appears you have been off the narcotics long enough that they should stop being a problem. If you have your psych meds in balance, which it appears you do, I suggest you request your PC refer you into a new pain mgmt clinic. Honestly explain to them what you feel happened and work with them, when they closely monitor your physical pill count and drug screen levels. Don't focus on revenge. Focus on moving forward.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
                  X