USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old medical bills - Should I pay the collection agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old medical bills - Should I pay the collection agency?

Yesterday I received a letter from a collection agency about a bill from a visit to the ER on 4/17/04. I thought this bill was paid by my insurance long ago. It turns out the hospital never submitted the claim. I never heard anything from the hospital since the initial bill when I sent them my $30 copay.

Some background:

I didn't have my insurance #'s during my visit so I called back 2 days later and gave the person in billing the info.
    I never received any bills until 12/17/04. However it was not itemized so I called and requested an itemized one.
    I received an itemized bill on 1/12/05 and sent $30 sometime in Feb. as my co-pay.
    Yesterday I received a letter from a collection agency.
    I called the hopital and they claim they never got the insurance info. They are also saying that it would be too late to put in a claim now.

I don't remember the insurance company or any member #'s. It was something calle a Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangement, I believe I paid cash to get a discount. I did receive something a little over a year ago saying something about a lawsuit and a fund set up to pay claims, but since I didn't know I had a claim I didn't keep the info.

I guess the question is should I pay the collection agency? And if so how much? They have offered to settle for $999.

re: Old medical bills - Should I pay the collection agency?

You may want to file in small claims against the hospital and the collector...and force them to prove the debt and why they delayed etc.

Comment

I appreciate the idea. How about the other 29 people who read this? No other ideas??

Comment

Ask them them to prove and verify the amount of the debt supposedly due.

Comment

I don't see how to delete this thing but I settled so you can stop responding. Thanks to those who did.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X