court committed to a hospital for insanity made a baby while in the hospital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: court committed to a hospital for insanity made a baby while in the hospital

You have a limited time to bring a malpractice suit. Knowing your state would be the first step. We know these were not "street people". Who exactly were they?
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: court committed to a hospital for insanity made a baby while in the hospital

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
      You have a limited time to bring a malpractice suit. Knowing your state would be the first step. We know these were not "street people". Who exactly were they?
      My visitor from the street.. (street) meaning not a patient

Comment

Originally posted by toney View Post
        My visitor from the street.. (street) meaning not a patient
        So, in other words, you were allowed to visit with a woman you knew from outside the facility. You were given unsupervised visitation with her for 2 hours at a time, and during that time you chose to engage in sexual activity with her. You produced a child with her, and now she is taking you to court for child support. Is that what happened?

This is about personal responsibility, NOT malpractice. You chose what to do with your 2 hour visits with this woman. You CHOSE to have sex with her. If you weren't comfortable doing that, you could easily have summoned the staff to tell her to leave and ended the visit, or you could have done something else that didn't require you to take your clothes off.

I'm not seeing any kind of liability on the part of the medical facility here. While medicated, you were obviously considered capable and responsible enough to be allowed unsupervised visitations with this woman. Why would the staff have had to intervene if you were perfectly able to conduct yourself appropriately without their presence?
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
          So, in other words, you were allowed to visit with a woman you knew from outside the facility. You were given unsupervised visitation with her for 2 hours at a time, and during that time you chose to engage in sexual activity with her. You produced a child with her, and now she is taking you to court for child support. Is that what happened?

This is about personal responsibility, NOT malpractice. You chose what to do with your 2 hour visits with this woman. You CHOSE to have sex with her. If you weren't comfortable doing that, you could easily have summoned the staff to tell her to leave and ended the visit, or you could have done something else that didn't require you to take your clothes off.

I'm not seeing any kind of liability on the part of the medical facility here. While medicated, you were obviously considered capable and responsible enough to be allowed unsupervised visitations with this woman. Why would the staff have had to intervene if you were perfectly able to conduct yourself appropriately without their presence?
          I have doctors that will disagree

Comment

and by the way check out support is not a problem I am NOT trying to get out of anything I want them to put in what they owe me for allowing me to be abused

Comment

Your problem is not that a few doctors disagree. It is that many feel it is accepatable to not take away a patients rights unless treatment requires it. I suggest you read the following article which will burst your bubble.

http://www.cleveland.com/medical/ind...spital_pa.html

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Your problem is not that a few doctors disagree. It is that many feel it is accepatable to not take away a patients rights unless treatment requires it. I suggest you read the following article which will burst your bubble.

I didn't happen to see where it said someone from outside the facility or a visitor

Comment

I will put it in a baby thought for you if you do not understand the meaning.

Dr. Douglas Mossman, director of forensic psychiatry at Wright State University, said a person could be incompetent to stand trial but competent to engage in sex. Hospitals in some cases "accommodate desires of competent patients to engage in sexual activity that is consensual," he said.
                  I didn't happen to see where it said someone from outside the facility or a visitor

Comment

As per the matter an insane person is a person who has instable mind. He is not able to concentrate. Usually gets violent. The person reacts very harshly even for a small matter. Under such imagination of having sex and child is unbelievable. You were admitted in the hospital for a treatment relating to insanity. During that course you had sex with street people is unbelievable by normal reason. It may be a case of fraud. You can report matter to law enforcement agencies. If then also you have no relief you can file petition in the court. Even you can sue the hospital also.

Comment

I don't know how to all I know is that on for sure I wasn't in my right mind I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and sentenced to a hospital I didn't know I needed to contact the authorities all I know is I feel like I was taken advantage of and that hospital let it happen now I have a crazy girl 1 South support I have to worry about college and I have to deal with her for the rest of my lifeI believe that the hospital should have to pay for that because I wasn't protected there was no supervised visits it was her and me locked in a room
                      Ok. You admit you were not in your right mind. My question is, are you sure this isn't a delusion? Most of the time schizophrenics have a knowing sense that the delusions really are a delusions unless they are having a full fledged psychotic break.

If you honestly feel sure this is not a delusion, you need help and you need it right now! I would go directly to Social Services. If you have a child and are in school and have a mental health diagnosis I'd imagine you must have some involvement with Social Service. Speak with someone and ask to involve law enforcement as well as your doctor. Schizoaffective disorder isn't a diagnosis that is curable at this time so I'm sure you on medications to help control the symptoms.

I must admit that I am deeply concerned for your child. There are obviously problems with your connection to your child, probably related to your diagnosis. Please understand that I do not pass judgement on you AT ALL! One of my best, dearest friends in a Paranoid Schizophrenic. He is an absolutely brilliant musician, has a wonderful sense of humor and just makes me smile. But he has required hospitalization a few times because, as I am sure you probably know, Schizophrenia is notorious for it's delusions which tell the sufferer that he is not a Schizophrenic and doesn't need the medications.
                      "All I can say is, next time don't poke it."

Are we back in high school. I'm to old, to play so you should go play with yourself..

R.N. with 20+ years in the healthcare trenches,

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post

No. The facility is responsible for the preventing harm. This is also part of the physicians Hippocratic Oath and the nurses Nightingale Pledge. Knowingly or neglectfully allowing a psychotic patient to make decisions without a reasonable plan and implementation, to prevent this sort of harm would result in the state surveyor tearing a facility to shreds. I'm not saying there aren't horror stories because there certainly are but they are not right or legal.

Are we back in high school. I'm to old, to play so you should go play with yourself..

Comment

Originally posted by singing2thwheat View Post
                          No. The facility is responsible for the preventing harm. This is also part of the physicians Hippocratic Oath and the nurses Nightingale Pledge. Knowingly or neglectfully allowing a psychotic patient to make decisions without a reasonable plan and implementation, to prevent this sort of harm would result in the state surveyor tearing a facility to shreds. I'm not saying there aren't horror stories because there certainly are but they are not right or legal.
                          You assume that by granting visitation to this woman that the patient knew and trusted, that this was somehow harmful to that patient.

Allowing a patient a conjugal visitation is not unheard of, nor is it necessarily considered malpractice.
                          "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
                          "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
                          "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

From the article:

1. A Cuyahoga County court case involving a patient who had multiple sex partners at a psychiatric hospital highlights what one lawyer called "one of the most threatening issues" facing mental health officials.

2. It may be inevitable that patients engage in sexual relations, particularly in state hospitals where they may live for months or years. But it represents a clinical and legal minefield.

3. Revelations that the Ohio Department of Mental Health tolerates sexual activity in its hospitals led to a hail of criticism in May from Common Pleas Judge Nancy Margaret Russo. The judge, noting that large numbers of criminal defendants populate state hospitals, is asking the governor for a sweeping review of patient safety.

4. One group of state hospitals has a five-paragraph policy that simply discourages sex, while other state facilities spell out procedures on the distribution and disposal of condoms.
                            (policy and specific Care Plans is the only way they are getting away with this and it's based on those facilities being woefully understaffed, in my opinion.)

5. At a hearing in May, Russo ordered the state to ensure the patient does not have sex again. The hospital put the woman under 24-hour watch. But the patient filed a complaint with the Ohio Legal Rights Service, saying the supervision violates her rights. The complaint was rejected, but it underscores a fundamental debate about patients' rights

6. But Mason, chief lawyer for the nonprofit Nebraska Advocacy Services, questions whether women in psychiatric hospitals are even capable of consenting to sex. Many have histories of being victimized and traumatized, he said. "We've had women who literally didn't know they could say no."

I could go on and on. The article is a discussion of opinion on law and patients rights and does not support any argument that what took place is the poster fault.

Comment

You do of course realize you just implied the psych doctors are incompetent to determine the mental state of their/ patients and lawyers should be practicing psychiatric medicine for them on patients they never met or observed during their hospitalization..

Comment

You do of course realize you just implied the psych doctors are incompetent to determine the mental state of their/ patients and lawyers should be practicing psychiatric medicine for them on patients they never met or observed during their hospitalization..
                                More likely a company who doesn't want to hire enough people to care for the patients. Like I said, some policy written so that the facility can cover their asses in case a patient is raped, really doesn't get it.

Now, if you really do have two patients who responsibly make the decision to have sex there is a very specific set of things that need to happen and it isn't some generalized policy like an umbrella. It requires that the interdisciplinary team come together in a special meeting to discuss this with the patient, family as indicated and review the patients progress with each discipline, It is a lengthy process and specific care plans have to be written with the parameters of what will be acceptable and what will not be acceptable. What indicators will be continuously evaluated and documented on to speak to the patient specific care plan.

Even if you get through all that and it is all systems go, which is highly doubtful when you take into account the specific nature of Psychiatric care, the next step is to look at how this may affect other patients and if the facility is even able to provide a place for this to happen, reasonably,

So, the chances that this is reasonable and doable is slim to none.

Again, a generalized policy is bologna. That judge recognizes that and she isn't going to go for it. That is proper expression of our court system and law.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X