Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postpartum complications and negligence

Hi, so around October 2020 I gave birth to a little girl. My water broke a couple weeks early and labor was smooth at the hospital. I ended up suffering from a postpartum hemorrhage for three hours following birth. Once things were stable, I was transferred to the mommy/baby unit where I was told baby and I had to stay an extra day because she was born at 36weeks and 4 days. Anyway, I felt HORRIBLE the next day. I continuously made my nurse aware and that same day, the doctors decided to draw blood work. I’d been getting blood drawn weekly because of gestational hypertension. Anyway, it took three nurses to find veins which has never happened before. The blood work came back and the docs reported that my hemoglobin levels (iron) were exactly at an 8 but I didn’t “qualify” for a blood transfusion because my levels were not BELOW an 8. That was on a Wednesday, I stayed in the hospital until that Friday and everyday I told my nurse about struggling to breathe, how weak I was, etc. It felt like a truck was sitting on my chest when I was falling asleep so I just didn’t sleep for days. My nurse was aware of all of this. Finally, on the day I was discharged, they did an EKG because my heart was beating extremely fast just with small movements. EKG came back normal. Docs never checked my blood again and I was discharged. I was too out of it to think to advocate for them to do so. I went home and things got worse. I returned to the hospital because of breathing issues. They told me that it could be COVID, so they swabbed me for COVID again, despite being in the hospital and having a negative covid test just a couple days ago. Test came back negative. Then they said, well maybe you’re dehydrated and gave me IV fluids. Nothing changed. They finally drew blood and saw my iron levels were at a 7 (less than two days ago they were at an 8) entering the severely anemic range. They decided then to do an emergency blood transfusion. When I asked if that was why I felt like that, the doctors words to me were “Your heart was beating so fast because there wasn’t enough blood circulating around it” I recently looked at a past graph of my blood work that was done every week from the end of August to October when I gave birth and my iron levels had been well below normal (9s and below), with a downward trend. No one ever put me on an iron supplement or even mentioned the iron being an issue, despite weekly lab draws that showed my iron was tapering downward.
    Now, I’ve been having some terrible nightmares and waking up sweating thinking about the trauma. I’m TERRIFIED to have another kid, and I dont even know the damage that was done to my body given that I could have gone septic from their negligence. Does this sound like a medical malpractice case?

Does this sound like a medical malpractice case?
    Only a medical malpractice attorney can answer that question. Consultations are free. See a couple of attorneys and review your options.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X