Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sue the hospital? (after falling off a ladder)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sue the hospital? (after falling off a ladder)

Last week my bro in law was rushed to hospital after falling off a ladder. He was told that he had broken his wrist and knee and would need surgery to pin them both back. He had the 1st operation on his wrist and everything was ok. However things have gone wrong ever since. Within 2 days of his surgery he was told that he was
    suffering with phomonia (yet he was healthy when he was ammitted) and would have to wait a few days for the other surgery.
    When he eventually had the next operation we were told that he had to have a blood transfusion whilst in surgery, which we didnt question because we trusted the hospital. Last week he went and had the last op on the back of his knee, within an hour of coming out of the op he was rushed back in because he had no pulse in his foot and they discovered a main atrery in his leg had been severed. This was corrected and he was returned to the ward. Then 3oclock the next morning i had a phonecall from the hospital telling me he was now in the icu and on a life support machine because he couldnt breathe. He has been in there now for 3 days with the machine breathing for him and in a induced coma. I cannot understand how a straight forward operation to repair a wrist and knee has resulted in him being in icu. The doctors dont seem very concerened and this is even more worring to us. we have been told that the breathing problems were because of a blood clot that has travelled from the leg to the chest, im assuming this is beacuse of the severed artery which was the hospitals fault. We are now waiting to see what happens over the next couple of days but surely something has gone horribaly wrong with the care he has recieved? do you think we have grounds for a complaint?

re: Can I sue the hospital? (after falling off a ladder)

Making a complaint can be a complicated and lengthy process. There are organizations that can help you. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) - Nearly all Trusts have a PALS department. They provide information, advice and support to patients and their families. They can also help to raise your concerns informally. Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) - ICAS is independent of the NHS and is available all over England. They can help you to write letters; prepare you for and support you at meetings; explain the options available to you and contact third parties for you.

Comment

re: Can I sue the hospital? (after falling off a ladder)

While you certainly have every right to question what took place with your brother in law it's a bit early to consider a lawsuit (even assuming you have the legal authority to do so...which, as a sister-in-law is questionable). Keep in mind that EVERY surgery...even the most minor one...have the potential to develop complications.

The fact that you cannot spell pneumonia or artery correctly would imply that your knowledge of medicine might be limited so you are not the most knowledgeable by instantly assuming a blood clot was from a severed artery.

Gail

Comment

Re: Can I sue the hospital? (after falling off a ladder)

Originally posted by leeann98danny View Post
        Last week my bro in law was rushed to hospital after falling off a ladder. He was told that he had broken his wrist and knee and would need surgery to pin them both back. He had the 1st operation on his wrist and everything was ok. However things have gone wrong ever since. Within 2 days of his surgery he was told that he was
        suffering with phomonia (yet he was healthy when he was ammitted) and would have to wait a few days for the other surgery.
        When he eventually had the next operation we were told that he had to have a blood transfusion whilst in surgery, which we didnt question because we trusted the hospital. Last week he went and had the last op on the back of his knee, within an hour of coming out of the op he was rushed back in because he had no pulse in his foot and they discovered a main atrery in his leg had been severed. This was corrected and he was returned to the ward. Then 3oclock the next morning i had a phonecall from the hospital telling me he was now in the icu and on a life support machine because he couldnt breathe. He has been in there now for 3 days with the machine breathing for him and in a induced coma. I cannot understand how a straight forward operation to repair a wrist and knee has resulted in him being in icu. The doctors dont seem very concerened and this is even more worring to us. we have been told that the breathing problems were because of a blood clot that has travelled from the leg to the chest, im assuming this is beacuse of the severed artery which was the hospitals fault. We are now waiting to see what happens over the next couple of days but surely something has gone horribaly wrong with the care he has recieved? do you think we have grounds for a complaint?
        You yourself do not have grounds for a complaint He is only your brother in law. If there is a family member who might have grounds to sue, it would be your sister -- his wife.

Should the opinion of another medical professional determine there was malpractice, the procedures were not done properly, his care did not meet the standard of the profession, then and only then would there be grounds for suit. . Only a qualified physician can make that determination.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
        X