Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercury toxicity

I have been ill all my adult life with headaches and feelings of unwellness. Over the years it got worse and worse until I became in a debilatated state for several years. I was diagnosed with high levels of mercury in my body which had leached out from my silver dental amalgams. I have sufferred such horrendous head pain. I have been doing naturopathic programs to remove the mercury for five years now. As the mercury levels go down in my body I am beginning to feel a little better. My body has been through hell. There is a lot of damage to my brain and to my digestive sysyem . It has cost a fortune to try to get the mercury out of my body. I strongly feel the the Canadian Dental Association should pay for almost ( NOT BETTER YET ) ruining my life and my poor husband's life. Do you think I would ever have a chance to get reimbursed for my costs and my suffering ? Do you know of any other similar cases which have been won by mercury toxicity sufferers.

Re: mercury toxicity

AMALGAM CLASS ACTION SUIT IN CANADA

February 1997

The CFMR (Canadians For Mercury Relief) release opened with: "The silver dental fillings that you have been receiving are comprised of fifty percent mercury and have been exposing you to mercury vapor concentrations in your mouth, that in many cases exceeds the World Health Organization's Safe Occupational Exposure Limits by as much as 1200%." The release went on to cite the twenty year old study of Dr. Pierre Blais for Health Canada. A spokesperson for CFMR emphasized that the purpose of the lawsuit was to educate Canadians and dentists alike as to their options and also the importance of proper procedures for the removal of mercury amalgam fillings.

CFMR has retained the Toronto law firm of Paroian, Raphael, Courey, Cohen & Houston to take preliminary steps prior to the commencement of a class action lawsuit. The primary thrust of the potential legal action is based on the fact that Health Canada failed in its duty to inform the citizens of Canada of the results of its own internal studies questioning the safety of mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings. The AFPA news release expressed full support for the CFMR action and stated: "We believe that it is imperative that their message be heard, as it affects so many Canadians. Citizens have a right to know the potential risks they are taking in using Mercury Amalgam." The two groups held a joint news conference at the law firm at 10:00 am on Thursday, 20 February 1997.

--------------------------

Paroian, Raphael, Courey, Cohen & Houston
    Address: Suite 1812
    181 University Ave
    Toronto, ON M5H 3M7, Canada
    Phone: (416) 594-1812
    Fax: (416) 594-0868
    http://pview.findlaw.com/view/1201920_1

--------------------------

NEWS RELEASE
    Alliance For Public Accountability Supports CFMR
    Monday, February 17, 1997

Ottawa -- The Alliance For Public Accountability is fully supporting "Canadians For Mercury Relief", the organization formed to seek remedy on behalf of Canadians who have received Amalgam Dental Fillings containing as much as fifty percent Mercury.

"We applaud the efforts of CFMR", states Michelle Brill Edwards M.D., formerly of the Health Protection Branch of Health Canada. "We have been working alongside the members of CFMR in recent months and believe that it is imperative that their message be heard, as it affects so many Canadians. Citizens have a right to know the potential risks they are taking in using Mercury Amalgam."

The Alliance's accountability expert, Henry McCandless states "The dental amalgam issue is yet another example of the need for those with regulating responsibilities to apply precautionary principle in decision making. The CFMR has assembled a team of extremely knowledgeable scientists and medical experts on mercury poisoning and they are all in accord, that putting a toxic substance in your mouth is not good for you."

Comment

American consumers sue over mercury fillings in teeth

Last Updated: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 | 5:31 PM ET
      CBC News

Consumer groups are suing the American and California Dental Associations, claiming they have been misled about the dangers of mercury fillings.
      Kids Against Pollution, Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome Inc., the American Academy of Biological Dentistry and a group of patients have collectively put their names on the lawsuit.

Critics say mercury fillings, often called silver amalgams, can leak vapours and poison the body. They say the fillings cause everything from headaches to Alzheimer's Disease.

The lawsuits allege the associations violated California's business and professions code and charge the ADA and CDA with preventing dentists from discussing the issue with their patients.

"The worst thing they are doing is hiding the presence of mercury in fillings," said lawyer Charles Brown. "These fillings are 50 percent mercury."

"We consider it to be safe and the science certainly indicates that it is," said Linda Seifert of the CDA.

"Dental amalgam (silver filling) is considered to be safe, affordable and durable material that has been used to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans," said a statement released by the ADA.

The plaintiffs are demanding the court stop the ADA and CDA from putting out what they call "misleading and inaccurate information" about the fillings and to stop referring to them as "silver."

The National Institutes of Health in the U.S. are conducting clinical trails on mercury fillings in children. Other studies have been inconclusive.

Several countries, including Germany and Sweden, have banned the use of mercury amalgams but not for scientific reasons. Government officials say they are doing so because of public perception and pressure.

In Canada, dental schools are telling students to offer their patients a choice. The Canadian Dental Association encourages its members to discuss the issue with their patients.

Both the CDA and Health Canada stand behind mercury fillings but some Canadians have banded together and launched their own interest group.

Canadians for Mercury Relief was started in 1996.

CFMR launched legal action in 1998 against Health Canada and Dentsply, which supplies dental materials. Their case has yet to go to court.

Comment

Please, does anyone know what the status of the suit against the cda re; amalgam is? I have been almost comatose for 10 yrs with amalgam illness, in wheelchair for the past 5 yrs, hadv teeth removed last dec. and am just starting to wake up...am mad as hell..my email if you have any info.. [email protected] thanks , kathy

Comment

re what happened to canadian class action

i suspect it was settled out of court with a non-disclosure agreement and never went to trial...

i have been in touch with a lawyer to attempt to determine at least when settlement happened...

"canadians for mercury relief" the group that launched the suit, interestingly no longer exist...

i suspect the government knew there would be a huge financial liability if it went to trial, as well as little hope in defending their case as it is pretty much INdefensible, and so threw enough $$$ at the plaintiffs to shut them up and make them go away

this is my theory only - it is not substantiated - but it is what my gut tells me happened since the whole thing just so mysteriously evaporated...

too bad if so...

Comment

Well lets start another one, I want these damn things out of my mouth. whos in?

Comment

Your dentist, get dental insurance and request they be removed and changed. I have been doing so over the course of several years as part of regular dental checkups.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Well lets start another one, I want these damn things out of my mouth. whos in?
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Percentage Paid To a maximum of (per anniversary year)

Year 1
                On your first $1,150 of eligible services 50% $575
                Total benefits payable per person in your first anniversary year $575
                Year 2 and beyond
                On your first $400 of eligible services 80% $320
                On your next $860 of eligible services 50% $430
                Total benefits payable per person in your second and subsequent anniversary years $750

That is a basic outilne of canadian dental plans, (manulife specifically) These procedures would cost thousands of dollars (per tooth) and I have about 6 that need changed. They barely cover anything and the cost of the coverage itself is around $500 a month to begin with. It is a huge scam. So this is why I was looking into that class action. There is no way I could afford (at least in the foreseeable future) to get these things pulled out of my face, in which I had no choice of them being put in (as per my parents lack of knowledge of such things)

Comment

I suggest you call any dental schools near you and explain your situation. They usually have patient clinics where students perform dental work under the supervision of the certified instructors at a discount rate. Once you have them removed, the level of mercury in your system has about a 120 - 140 day half life. Intestines etc are slower and taking a quality whet protein supplement will help bind and remove the mercury in your intestines etc...

Canadian Dental Association: The Dental Profession
                  Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X