Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifes' entitlement without a Will?

I jointly own a mobile home with my Mother. I am also married but my Wifes' name is not on the ownership title. If I were to pass away before my Mother, without a Will in place, would my wife be entitled to my share of the mobile home?
    I live in British Columbia, Canada.

Re: Wifes' entitlement without a Will?

That would depend on how the trailer is titled and what your will says regarding it.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I don't have a will. The trailer is joint ownership between myself and my Mother, but my wife and I live in it and have lived in it since it was purchased. My Mother has never lived in it.

Comment

Does the title convey survivorship? If not, your interest in the home will transfer according to intestate probate laws for your area.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
          Does the title convey survivorship? If not, your interest in the home will transfer according to intestate probate laws for your area.
          I think that's his original question.

Comment

If you die without a will, the court will appoint an administrator. The court makes this appointment upon the application of somebody qualified to act in this capacity. Usually the person appointed as the administrator is a member of your family, or if you have none, a close friend or even a creditor. However, this may not be the person you would have chosen. The administrator's job is to distribute your property and assets among those who are entitled to it.

Comment

The Estate Administration Act says dying intestate, with a spouse and no children or great-grandchildren or other issue, their estate goes to the spouse.

Comment

That depends upon how the mobile home is titled: whether as tenants in common or joint tenants.
                Exactly how is ownership shown on the title?

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
                  That depends upon how the mobile home is titled: whether as tenants in common or joint tenants.
                  Exactly how is ownership shown on the title?
                  I already mentioned that. Thanks for reminding it as a precursor.

Comment

There is still no answer. That question needs to be answered, first.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X