Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contract question: Husband died. I was named his personal representative.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract question: Husband died. I was named his personal representative.

I am from WI. My husband died in Apr 04. I was named his personal representative. In 1994 my husband's parents bought him a house and a couple of acres of land. He had a contract to pay them monthly. Since he has died am I obligated to continue paying them? His estate did not go through probate since his assets were less than $50,000. All legal paperwork has been filed and everything is now in my name. I'm just wondering if I am legally obligated to continue with my husband's contract since he is now dead.

re: Contract question: Husband died. I was named his personal representative.

His estate should have paid them off or sold the house and paid them...it does become a gift just because he dies...but if no lien exists and he had no real assets then the payment obligation could expire...counsel could review details with you if need be

Comment

re: Contract question: Husband died. I was named his personal representative.

The property will have to go through probate in order for the deed to be changed into your name if that is what you want to do. The property should have been included in his assets. If you quit paying they can foreclose and take back the property or you could quit claim them the property as the personal representative of the estate.

If the property is in your name and they only have a contract, they can foreclose against you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X