Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden agendas re Will & Estate

My grandmother died 20+ years ago in Florida. My brother and I (adults) never saw her will, but she had told us of stocks etc for us. Other than that we dont know anything about what was left to whom. Our mother had her POA & has been in control of it all & very secretive. About 10 years ago it came to light that she was signing/cashing dividend checks issued jointly in my name & my grandmother's. Now she is dying and we hear she is selling everything in the vault including what should have been passed to us years ago. We've tried to find Grandma's will but dont know where/when it was filed. What can we do to get the information about the estate asap before its all hidden/gone?

Re: Hidden agendas re Will & Estate

I wish to inform you that in this case the sale of assets by your mother is invalid. A person can act under POA only when the person giving POA is living. In your case when your grandmother died the power to do acts under POA comes to an end. POA is valid only till the person is living and after death the will or law of intestacy governs the estate. Further, in case you have certain assets under will then those assets will come to you and cannot be sold by anyone without your authority. In order to know the contents of Will you can contact the person who had appeared as a witness on Will if you know the witness. Further, you can go to the probate office of the county where your grandmother lived. There you will be able to find out the contents of a Will.

AFF

Comment

thanks so much for your reply!!.. yes, I've found a # of postings in county records from apr82-aug83 but other than the obvious Will have no idea what they stand for. They are unviewable online & I'm in NY.. and yes again, I've always known what she's been doing is illegal (& immoral) but have no idea of what to do, how to uncover/undo whats already been done &/or how to stop it posthaste .. sincerely appreciate all help/advice

Comment

if she has sold off things even if it was illegal can her will be contested to recover what she has done from the grandmothers will.

Comment

hey little brother! that you? good question..
          dont see how we'd even find some of it IF the real inventory list is 'lost' & jewelry/stocks etc are already liquidated, y'know? cash is .. cash, & handy in these trying times, no doubt!
          but its the principle thats irking me .. that and being so in the dark

I'd appreciate if you'd get a copy of that list to me asap please! I dont understand why its proving so difficult just to see Gran's Will ??? I found it (& the deed to the condo, no sign of the property in Rye) but cant open it online.. ok, understandable - yet when I called the county clerk its not in their system! and they offer NO suggestions/help!! grrrrrrrrr *bangs her head on the wall*

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X