X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

The thread is closed.

------------------------

When we were searching for an Assisted Living facility for my father, one of the facilities told us about the Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit. They told us to attend one of the seminars given by The War Era Veterans Alliance as they would assist us in filing a claim for benefits. When we met with their representative, he advised us to move some of our father's money into annuities in our names - which we did.

Since then we have learned that there are companies who prey on senior veterans by selling them financial products such as annuities. They generally aren't accredited and can't represent a claimant before the VA if there are problems.

We verified that The War Era Veterans Alliance is an accredited VSO via the Dept of Veterans Affairs website. However, we are obviously concerned that they are selling annuities and wondering if this is legal. We gave them the necessary paperwork for our father's claim several weeks ago and assume they have submitted it to the VA. Should we just wait and see if it's approved?

We appreciate your advice.

Re: Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

Do you have a link on the VA website where you found certification?

Comment

Yes, here's the link: www4.va.gov/ogc/apps/accreditation/index.html

Actually, upon further review, I realize that the agency itself is not accredited,
      only the representative and founder, Mark McCauley.

Comment

What City is the office you went to?

Comment

I'd like to know if you had not gone with them on the financials would they still have filled out the forms to qualify you? I'm not sure you had even asked the question. Let me know.

Comment

I'm in the process of working with the War Era Veterans Alliance now in an attempt to get the Aid and Attendance benefit for my mother. Although her assets are minimal, they are helping us complete the paperwork at no charge. Time will tell whether her application is approved by the VA.

Comment

Which office did you go to?

Comment

Glendale, CA.

Comment

We're in the same predicament you are in at same office and will be curious as to your outcome. I've been hoping a legal rep would have answered your post but still none. I'll keep checking this post. Let me know if you are successful in approval.

Comment

Yes, please let me know how you come out as well. I will say that I feel pretty good about the contact I've had with the rep. Also, I don't know how long you've been trying to deal with the VA on your own, but I can say through experience that I dealt with them for nearly a year and was amazed at how difficult it was and how little they claimed to know about the benefit. I welcome the extra help and hope that it turns out well for my mother and for your dad.

Comment

I find it interesting that this individual is making this same posting on several forums related to A&A with one key theme, which is to promote this company she references. Word for word and follow up endorsements of this group.

Just as a heads up, I believe she is using your forums as a means of advertising to include the insurance company that they will be placing two $45,000 anunnities in her and her brother's name to bring mom's assets down. Less than honest and an obvious plant by the company she is recommending.

Comment

I also attended a seminar by this organization and subsequently had a one-on-one with one of their representatives in Glendale. He also suggested moving a large portion of my parent's money into an annuity. I found this forum after googling the name because I wanted to find out if anyone else has experience with this organization and if their recommendations are legal. I hope a legal expert will respond soon.

Comment

I am with an organization that assists with issues involving the senior community. The organization name is unimportant. What is important is the following: The so-called company (War Era Veterans Alliance, phone 800-901-0940 , 800.901.0940, 714-242-6650, War Era Veterans Alliance ) is a scam. They (actually Mark McCauley) set up his website 21 months ago, hardly long enough to "have educated hundreds of thousands of War Era Veterans" according to their website. The listing with the Department of Veterans Affairs is a fraud. The organization he is purportedly affiliated with, National Association of County Veterans, is a legitimate service organization located in New Jersey. Phone number is 732-929-2096 for confirmation. They have confirmed that they do not have any known affiliation with him. Moreover, they cannot comprehend why they would, given McCauley's address, listed at a corporate rent-an-office in Irvine, address listed is : McCauley, Mark ,8 Corporate Park, Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92606 .
                          Basically, this operation lures seniors in under the pretense of offering free services, and then either charging them thousands of dollars to do minimal paperwork (which may or may not include necessary followup), or huckstering them into the purchase of annuities or other financial properties. The sales pitch is typically made in a rented conference room. Typically, the VA paperwork is abandoned after the sale is made.
                          Seeking compensation for assistance with related paperwork is FORBIDDEN under state and federal law.
                          Hope this answers your questions.

Comment

There is one question left: How do we shut this guy down?

Comment

I'm curious to know the status of this?

Comment

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X