•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexus
    replied
    Re: I want to be emancipated from my mom - Ohio

Rules vary by state, but generally teens become emancipated through a court order, getting married or joining the military full time. In most cases, the judge will only grant emancipation if it is in the minor's best interest and the minor is willing to live on her own, manage her own finances, earn a living and continue her education. Once you turn 18, you are an adult and can choose to live where you want to live. Legally, a child under the age of 18 cannot leave home. However, if you are being abused, you have the option of petitioning the court to be declared legally emancipated from your parents. You can also report the matter to the CPS. CPS has the legal right and obligation to place endangered children in a safe environment. Consult an attorney for detailed advice.

Leave a comment:

• messyjessi
    replied

No at16 they can't just up and leave they can be reported as a runaway and anyone who.helps and harbors them can also face charges please don't tell people something that isn't true

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I agrees with the advice up until the contact CPS part. That is a bad idea. Foster care can be way worse and then you are stuck. I am concerned about your Dad's history - is there another family member such as a grandparent etc.? If your Mom is receiving aid for you, she may fight your leaving. At 16 you may leave if you want to, but I suggest you have a really good plan in place because if you end up back with Mom, I am guessing, things will only get worse. I'm sorry you are living in home where you feel unvalued, abused and neglected. I just would hate to see you move from that nightmare to one where you are sexually abused so please be careful!

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied
    re: I want to be emancipated from my mom - Ohio

Originally posted by taisadenice View Post
    thank you so much .
    Feel free to post me up and keep me informed if you need additional help. You can post me up privately.

Take care and keep your chin up. Help is available. You just need to reach out for it.

Leave a comment:

• taisadenice
    replied

thank you so much .

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

no, that isnt the reason. they divorced when i was two and she wont let him see me at all. we contact through facebook and stuff but im not allowed to see him. i havent seen him since i was 2.
    And my mother verbally abuses me. she plays favoratism with me my brother and sister, she treats me like im a slave. i can only eat after my brother and sister eats, i have to stand for hours on a wall. i get so hungry sometimes that i start to shake. she tells me not to talk to her, she takes my siblings out to eat and leaves me at home and she always does things to embarrass me. she hots me too . i do not think counseling will solve our problem.
    From what you describe, counseling does not sound like the answer. If I were in your shoes, I would place a call to your state's Child Protective Service. A casework will come out and investigate, listen to you, and then make a report. If the worker finds the situation severe enough, you may be taken out of the house and placed elsewhere until a permanent placement can be made.

You have a serious situation that really needs to be dealt with right away. You also can report what is going on at home to your school counselor. The more people who know what is going on, the more who will be willing to help you out of this horrible home.

Without knowing why your father was not allowed to contact you, or even if he is able to take you into his home, only he can initiate proceedings to get custody changed. Contact him if you can and then you will know what your options are.

Leave a comment:

• taisadenice
    replied

no, that isnt the reason. they divorced when i was two and she wont let him see me at all. we contact through facebook and stuff but im not allowed to see him. i havent seen him since i was 2.
    And my mother verbally abuses me. she plays favoratism with me my brother and sister, she treats me like im a slave. i can only eat after my brother and sister eats, i have to stand for hours on a wall. i get so hungry sometimes that i start to shake. she tells me not to talk to her, she takes my siblings out to eat and leaves me at home and she always does things to embarrass me. she hots me too . i do not think counseling will solve our problem.

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

But there are also problems with my dad. he's a registered sex offender. but that was years ago amd he has a job and a house.
    Which is why your mother got custody, right?

Talk with your dad, anyway. For in order to get custody reversed, he has to be the one to initiate it.

You didn't state what your problems are with your mother, why you want to live with your dad. Do you think they could be resolved if your mother heard you, understood you better? If maybe meetings with a third party, like a counselor, would help?

Leave a comment:

• taisadenice
    replied

But there are also problems with my dad. he's a registered sex offender. but that was years ago amd he has a job and a house.

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

I want to be emancipated from my mom and go live with my dad. I'm not sure how to do that though. I am 16 and i live in youngstown ohio. i just want to know how i would start the process of getting emancipated from my mom so my dad can have custody of me. I cannot take it anymore and i'm on the verge of running away.
    Emancipated is not the route to consider. Emancipation is possible ONLY when the youth is fully self supporting and capable of living on one's own. That is not what you want. You want custody changed to your father.

Since you are not yet an adult, still a minor, you cannot initiate the change in court. Your father needs to file a motion to modify custody, in him instead of your mother.

Have a frank talk with him, tell him exactly what is going on and why you want to live with him -- so he can make the proper motion to the court. Considering your age, the court will take your feelings and wishes into consideration, giving them weight in its decision.

It is up your dad, however, to get the ball rolling. So do talk with him asap. Running away is like out of the frying pan into the fire, no solution.

Leave a comment:

• taisadenice
    started a topic I want to be emancipated from my mom - Ohio

I want to be emancipated from my mom - Ohio

I want to be emancipated from my mom and go live with my dad. I'm not sure how to do that though. I am 16 and i live in youngstown ohio. i just want to know how i would start the process of getting emancipated from my mom so my dad can have custody of me. I cannot take it anymore and i'm on the verge of running away.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X