Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Was Adopted (not legally) Name Horror

When I was 7 months old,My Grandmother took guardianship of me. When doing so, she began to use her newly married last name on me. When I was 13 years old I was told that I had been adopted within the family. I went on to get a driver's license and all of the other usual things like Social Security card, etc and all were under the last name of my grandmother. As far as I was concerned, I was never anything but that last name. My first actual problem came post 911 when security tightened and we needed to have our birth certificate to fly.

Here's my dilemma: I am now 42 years old with the name I have ALWAYS gone by, including ALL IDs and such, with a Birth certificate that has a different name on it!

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

( My Birth Mother is still alive and I speak with her weekly)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that there was no way to change my name due to the fact that there was no social security # associated with my birth name and yet there is one with my given name. I was told that as far as the law was concerned, there really was no person alive(my birth name), becuase there is not 1 shred of evidence to prove I (my birth name) existed. How do you change your name from one that legally never was?

Re: I Was Adopted (not legally) Name Horror

You can go to court and have your name legally changed...it is relatively easy to do. See also the name change forms and instructions on the World Law site under Legal Forms.

http://www.worldlaw.eu/article/1948/Legal_Forms.html

Comment

I was told that there was no way to change my name due to the fact that there was no social security # associated with my birth name and yet there is one with my given name. I was told that as far as the law was concerned, there really was no person alive(my birth name), becuase there is not 1 shred of evidence to prove I (my birth name) existed. How do you change your name from one that legally never was?

Comment

You can still do a name change.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X