X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom... I am a 17 year old male who lives in Ohio

Hello everyone,

I am a 17 year old male who lives in ohio. i just graduated this year class of 2013. me and my parents really dont get a long and my life with them sucks. unfortuantely i was a year ahead of everyone and am not 18 for another month. is it legal for me too move out of my house and in with someone else? and if its not what kind of trouble can i get in if i just leave and dont contact them until im 18. please help me out with my questions.. thank you.

re: Freedom... I am a 17 year old male who lives in Ohio

Originally posted by zachman View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a 17 year old male who lives in ohio. i just graduated this year class of 2013. me and my parents really dont get a long and my life with them sucks. unfortuantely i was a year ahead of everyone and am not 18 for another month. is it legal for me too move out of my house and in with someone else? and if its not what kind of trouble can i get in if i just leave and dont contact them until im 18. please help me out with my questions.. thank you.
    While it's not necessarily illegal for you to move out, it may well be illegal for someone else to harbor you if they are an adult, They could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor or interference with custody. On the latter charge, if an adult harbors you out of fear for your general health, a court may be lenient and even drop the charges against them.

Dude, it's one month. Thirty days and nights. We're not talking years or even months. Surely you can stick it out for one whole month until you turn 18, become a legal adult, and are able to make the decision to live wherever you want.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Re: Freedom... I am a 17 year old male who lives in Ohio

Get permission to stay overnight at your friends.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
        While it's not necessarily illegal for you to move out, it may well be illegal for someone else to harbor you if they are an adult, They could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor or interference with custody. On the latter charge, if an adult harbors you out of fear for your general health, a court may be lenient and even drop the charges against them.

Dude, it's one month. Thirty days and nights. We're not talking years or even months. Surely you can stick it out for one whole month until you turn 18, become a legal adult, and are able to make the decision to live wherever you want.
        I am in the same boat I do not need too live with my parents anymore I am almost 18 I am out of school. I am starting my degree in Nursing Im going too have a great job in three months and my boyfriend and his family are willing too let me stay with them until my class start then, my boyfriend and I are going too get a house... But I don't wanna have too deal with any legal crap or anything I just wanna move out!

Comment

Thx for sharing.

Originally posted by Allyssa123 View Post
          I am in the same boat I do not need too live with my parents anymore I am almost 18 I am out of school. I am starting my degree in Nursing Im going too have a great job in three months and my boyfriend and his family are willing too let me stay with them until my class start then, my boyfriend and I are going too get a house... But I don't wanna have too deal with any legal crap or anything I just wanna move out!

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

That's all well and good that you have a plan, but you are not yet 18. You may not have the legal right to move out on your own.

I'll guess that your boyfriend is over 18? If so, he could be prosecuted for harboring a runaway, as can his parents if they allow you to move in without your parents' permission. If you are under the legal age of consent, your boyfriend could also face additional charges, including statutory rape and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

It doesn't matter what you WANT. If the law requires that you stay with your parents until you reach legal adulthood, you have NO CHOICE in the matter. The only way to get around that is to seek emancipation through the courts (if that's even available to you in your state). You will fail in such a quest, however, under a couple of requirements.

First, if your parents don't approve of your applying for it, you're done before you've even started, as most states require that the parents submit and/or sign their approval of your application.

Secondly, to be emancipated, you must already be capable of living independently, which requires you to be self-supporting. It doesn't mean you're going to get a job afterwards, or that you have someone who's willing to pay for your food, rent, and clothing on your behalf. It means you already have a job that pays sufficient wages to provide for your OWN financial needs entirely. You also fail on that requirement, since you are still in school, and your job doesn't even start for another 3 months.

Last, but not least, an emancipation petition can take several months to process. If you're already almost 18, and if that is the age of majority in your state, then you'll already have reached adulthood before the process even completes. (Strike three, you're out.)

That being said, since you're ALMOST 18, I would suggest that you just deal with life at home until you turn 18, and THEN you can do whatever you choose.
            "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I read this as you want to live with your boyfriend, have access to free and easy sex and/or romance.

There is a good chance that if you move in with your boyfriend you will end up sabotaging your nursing plans. Pregnancy has a way of changing our life plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
                I read this as you want to live with your boyfriend, have access to free and easy sex and/or romance.

There is a good chance that if you move in with your boyfriend you will end up sabotaging your nursing plans. Pregnancy has a way of changing our life plans.

That is not at all what I want. I am saying that it's a place too live and the fact the we've been together forever and we've talk about that yes if it would too happen but there isn't a change because along with going too school too be a nurse I will also be a starting center midfielder in soccer.. I know that a pregnancy can change everything we don't plain on messing up and making a mistake. We just wanna live together

Comment

Originally posted by Allyssa1234 View Post
                  That is not at all what I want. I am saying that it's a place too live and the fact the we've been together forever and we've talk about that yes if it would too happen but there isn't a change because along with going too school too be a nurse I will also be a starting center midfielder in soccer.. I know that a pregnancy can change everything we don't plain on messing up and making a mistake. We just wanna live together
                  Read my reply above. What you WANT is irrelevant if it is not legally possible. My response details why it can't happen.

Comment

Apparently she values him more as a bed warmer than a criminal record free provider.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                      Apparently she values him more as a bed warmer than a criminal record free provider.
                      I do not want too hurt him at all I'm just saying when you get treated like crap as much as I have in my life you tend too just wanna leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I do not want too hurt him at all I'm just saying when you get treated like crap as much as I have in my life you tend too just wanna leave.
                        What do you mean, "treated like crap"??

Were you physically abused in any way? Or were you simply ignored, or disciplined a lot? Not allowed to spend time away from home? Not allowed to do what YOU want and instead were forced to stay home, study, do chores?

Comment

Buy a calendar. Only 20 days to bed buddy bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
                            What do you mean, "treated like crap"??

Were you physically abused in any way? Or were you simply ignored, or disciplined a lot? Not allowed to spend time away from home? Not allowed to do what YOU want and instead were forced to stay home, study, do chores?

I mean by the fact of not being aloud too go do anything by myself since I have graduated school I have finally been able too go out. Mental and when I was little get lickends like no tomorrow when I got in trouble.. But the thing that get me more than everything is that Im the oldest of five and my second too oldest sister get treated more like an adult than I do granted I'm not 18 yet. But she's only fifteen dating someone over 18.. I know i am doing the same thing but were not doing anything alegal and atleast I'm almost 18.

Comment

I mean by the fact of not being aloud too go do anything by myself since I have graduated school I have finally been able too go out. Mental and when I was little get lickends like no tomorrow when I got in trouble.. But the thing that get me more than everything is that Im the oldest of five and my second too oldest sister get treated more like an adult than I do granted I'm not 18 yet. But she's only fifteen dating someone over 18.. I know i am doing the same thing but were not doing anything alegal and atleast I'm almost 18.
                              Really?!?!? THAT'S what you mean by being treated like crap? Honey, you have it pretty good, compared with other far more harsh situations.

You haven't gotten "lickends" since you were a little girl, so no physical abuse. No mental abuse either, especially if your idea of mental abuse is not getting to do what you want to when you want to do it.

Your parents probably give you more responsibility for family matters as the oldest of five. That's NOT abusive - that's life in a large family. Your sister is being allowed to date? Perhaps her idea of dating is different than yours. You are eager to spend alone time with the boyfriend, which inevitably means getting physical. One wrong move and your life is changed forever, which is what happens with "accidental" pregnancies - especially with underage girls. No, you don't plan on it, but that's when it happens most. And since too many young females think it will never happen to them, they don't make appropriate choices to avoid getting into trouble. (The only birth control method that is 100% effective is ABSTINENCE.)

Seriously. You have a few months before you turn 18. Grow up NOW and realize that you don't always get what you want. Better to learn that sooner than later - because when you become an adult, the consequences can be much more severe and long-lasting, since you truly are doing it on your own. You and your boyfriend can do everything you want and more when you turn 18.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X