Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents finacial obligation toward adult children

I would like to find out what a parents financial obligation is towards a 20year old in South Africa, who has completed schooling and is permanently employed and earning a salary for more than a year, but is now requested to leave home due to abusive behaviour untoward the parents.

Re: Parents finacial obligation toward adult children

I wish to inform you that laws of your state will govern your rights. However as the child is adult thus parents are not responsible for child in any manner. Parents can even evict adult child if they desire if house belongs to parent. Parents are generally liable only when child is minor because at that time parents are guardians of child and have duty towards child. As child becomes adult then child himself is solely responsible for all the acts.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by Louise Smith View Post
      I would like to find out what a parents financial obligation is towards a 20year old in South Africa, who has completed schooling and is permanently employed and earning a salary for more than a year, but is now forced to leave home due to abusive behaviour untoward the parents.
      Absolutely NO legal obligation whatsoever.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
        Absolutely NO legal obligation whatsoever.
        Would the abovementioned child be able to take the parent to court in order for sue the parent to supplement their income because they are acustomed the a certain lifestyle and won't be able to maintain such lifestyle on their own earnings?

Comment

Not unless there was a court order already in existence which requires the parents to do so (such as child maintenance).

Sounds like the child is spoiled and needs to learn to live within their means - or find a higher-paying job or 2nd job to support their spending habits. Once emancipated from their parents, the now adult child is on their own.
          "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
          "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
          "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by Louise Smith View Post
            I would like to find out what a parents financial obligation is towards a 20year old in South Africa, who has completed schooling and is permanently employed and earning a salary for more than a year, but is now requested to leave home due to abusive behaviour untoward the parents.
            A parent is obligated to support their child. Under the ChildCare Act of 2005, Amended in 2007 a child is defined as someone under the age of 18 years.

A parent's financial obligation to a child is to prepare them to be financially solvent and self supporting -- until the age of 18. And to kick them out of the nest so they can fly with their own wings.

And to teach them to "honor thy father and mother" and sternly discipline should the ungrateful brat fail to do so.

"Request" should be a demand to "Get thee out of my house. Do not darken my front door (or slip in the back) until you show proper respect and gratitude to the people who gave you life,nurtured, housed, fed and educated you all these years."

That is a parent's obligation to their adult "child."

Comment

Thank you very much for all your feedback.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X