Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get some general advice about terminating parental relationship on consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get some general advice about terminating parental relationship on consent

Here is my case.
    A 50 years old male adult and his 75 years old father are willing to terminate their father and son relation and give up all the rights and abandon all the obligations accordingly.
    They both believe it'll be better to do it.

What is the legal process to get it done generally?
    I don't need specific details. I just want to know the essential concepts.
    Laws of different states may vary. What I care about is general idea and a general explanation.

Thanks. I will be really appreciate your patience to give me an answer.

Re: I want to get some general advice about terminating parental relationship on cons

Generally, in these cases, they just become estranged. Their is no way to renounce paternity at this point. The 50 year could theoretically find another person to adopt him. Other than that, wait a few more years and life or death in this case, will solve the animosity problem.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: I want to get some general advice about terminating parental relationship on cons

Originally posted by hdraw View Post
      Here is my case.
      A 50 years old male adult and his 75 years old father are willing to terminate their father and son relation and give up all the rights and abandon all the obligations accordingly.
      They both believe it'll be better to do it.

What is the legal process to get it done generally?
      I don't need specific details. I just want to know the essential concepts.
      Laws of different states may vary. What I care about is general idea and a general explanation.

Thanks. I will be really appreciate your patience to give me an answer.
      With few exceptions adult children are not responsible for their parents and likewise.

They are estranged and need have no further contact if they are in accord.

Parents usually reflect their alienation from a child in their will, usually the last legal obligation a parent has to children -- if they die intestate their estate goes to their direct descendants. A will, leaving one dollar, accomplishes that -- disinheriting.

Comment

As I know, if there is no legal action taken, the father and son will have some rights and obligations based on the parental relationship in various situation not only when one of them decrease.
        Am I right?
        If they are agreed not keep all of these, what can they do? It is not about animosity, it is about law. People are in extreme situation, sometime.

Comment

They have no legal obligation to each other unless they assumed some. If dad wants junior disinherited, he should specifically exclude junior in his will, to avoid junior saying he was forgotten.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Since it doesn't appear to be about inheritance, you will have to give more details.

After the child, now 50, reached adulthood, the parent no longer had any obligation to them. If this is about the elder having significant medical expenses and they live in a state like PA where children have been held accountable, this will not work. No different than the adult "giving away" large assets before they will be incurring exorbinant medical costs, it will be seen for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hdraw View Post
              As I know, if there is no legal action taken, the father and son will have some rights and obligations based on the parental relationship in various situation not only when one of them decrease.
              Am I right?
              If they are agreed not keep all of these, what can they do? It is not about animosity, it is about law. People are in extreme situation, sometime.
              If you could state exactly what obligations you think they have, and the state in which these people reside, we could give an answer, "yes", or "no."

In a few states, adult children can be responsible for a parent's final expenses. But only a few. And, even then, I know of no law that allows adult parent and child to "divorce" each other.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X