Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megans Law, deception

I feel that I was deceived and pushed into accepting a plea from our counsel regarding my daughters sex offender.
    We were offered a plea to accept by the defendents counsel to avoid going to trial and putting my daughter through that tetious process. the defense would be on parole for life and a registered sex offender on Megans Law. My main concern was to make him visible online to all public so that noone else would endure the pain our family has! I made this clear time and time again and it was even stated in my victim impact statement that I read on behalf of my 4 year old daughter. At no time did our prosecutor explained the tiering process to us, not did she state that not all registered sex offenders are listed online. Now, after sentencing I am finding this out and I cant get any answers on why this want disclosed to my family before excepting the plea and giving us the opportunity to make a well informed decision!
    My question is, can I do anything about this now?

Re: Megans Law, deception

Prosecutors consider the wishes of the victim in situations like this. They practice law based on the facts and evidence they have to work with. The two are sometimes mutually exclusive.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: Megans Law, deception

Originally posted by gangimel View Post
      I feel that I was deceived and pushed into accepting a plea from our counsel regarding my daughters sex offender.
      We were offered a plea to accept by the defendents counsel to avoid going to trial and putting my daughter through that tetious process. the defense would be on parole for life and a registered sex offender on Megans Law. My main concern was to make him visible online to all public so that noone else would endure the pain our family has! I made this clear time and time again and it was even stated in my victim impact statement that I read on behalf of my 4 year old daughter. At no time did our prosecutor explained the tiering process to us, not did she state that not all registered sex offenders are listed online. Now, after sentencing I am finding this out and I cant get any answers on why this want disclosed to my family before excepting the plea and giving us the opportunity to make a well informed decision!
      My question is, can I do anything about this now?
      It is not likely that you can do anything. The sentence was rendered. You were not a party to the case so the plea will stand. You can take your issue up with the prosecutor, demand a 'why." And if it is not satisfactory, remember it when the prosecutor is up for re election.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X